The Advocacy Manager will manage advocacy and campaign initiatives of the Iraq Country Office. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Advocacy Manager shares in the overall responsibility and the direction and coordination of the Iraq Country Office. The Advocacy Manager will liaise closely with the Regional Advocacy, Media and Communications Director and the Save the Children Humanitarian Advocacy Working Group to consult on and develop advocacy, policy, and campaign products.
The function will produce key advocacy messages to be used at national, regional and international levels, which reflect programmatic priorities, are evidence-based, and are risk sensitive to avoid negatively impacting response operations. The Advocacy Manager will also play a representational role and should expect to represent Save the Children in external meetings with relevant authorities, the NGO Advocacy Working Group in Erbil, the UN, Donors and other stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Prior management experience (5-6 years) in an emergency, good background and experience in post-conflict/recovery and development.
• Significant prior work experience in advocacy on humanitarian issues, child rights, human rights, or development issues;
• Master's degree in relevant discipline
• Experience of influencing and advocacy work including lobbying, policy development and information provision in humanitarian issues;
• Excellent skills in advocating towards government officials in developing countries
• Experience of and strong skills in developing and implementing humanitarian advocacy strategies
• Good attention to detail
• Extensive knowledge of child rights and international humanitarian law
• Understanding of UN and donor operations at country level
• High level analytical and strategic thinking skills
• Cultural awareness and ability to build relationships quickly with a wide variety of people
• Patient, adaptable, flexible, able to improvise and remain responsive and communicate clearly and effectively under pressure
• Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
• Strong communication (written and spoken), and interpersonal skills, with experience in managing multicultural teams
• Proven skills in media work, including interviews on Radio and TV
• Fluency in Arabic and/or Kurdish
Contract Length: 12 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
• No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
• All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
• Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Find out more about this role by downloading the job description here Job description
Location: Iraq, Iraq
Contract - Full-Time
Closing date: Tuesday 21 August 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified
Know anyone else who might be interested in this job?
Why not share it with them?