Architect Local Development Programme for Deprived Urban Areas in North Lebanon (UDP-NL)
A. Required qualifications, competences and experience
• University degree/Masters/MSc in Architecture with focus on construction and rehabilitation of urban infrastructure and public facilities
• Minimum of 5 years of professional experience as architect in construction and rehabilitation of infrastructure projects in Lebanon with focus on community and public facilities, cultural buildings, recreational and sports facilities like parks, playgrounds, touristic infrastructure etc.
• Very good practical experience and knowledge in Lebanese building law and international standards (FIDIC), regulations and procedures related to construction and rehabilitation works.
• Good experiences in working with relevant authorities (Ministries, Municipalities, Universities, Order of Engineers and Architects) and familiarity with construction related approval procedures and clearances.
• Profound knowledge of all relevant process steps within the framework of construction projects starting from the first project idea to contracting consultants to obtaining construction approvals and permissions to tendering and implementing at site etc.
• Very good experience in planning, supervising and implementing of construction projects.
• Good knowledge of national construction market and construction costs.
• Proven work experience in international cooperation
Other knowledge, additional competences:
• Excellent knowledge of English and Arabic language in written, verbal communication and reporting skills, knowledge (working and reporting language is English
• Excellent working knowledge of IT technologies (construction related software, Auto CAD) and office computer applications (e.g. email, internet, MS Office)
• Customer and service-oriented attitude
• Used to working goal-oriented and timely
• Excellent intercultural, interpersonal and cooperation skills and ability to interact with partners at various levels
• Ability to work as part of a team and show good teamwork skills
• Ability to work under pressure with high attentiveness
• Ability and willingness to work with a multi-cultural team.
• Driving licence for Lebanon.
The position holder:
• Leads and monitors local consultants/ architects or engineers who are commissioned with planning, tendering and site supervision.
• Preparation and handling of tendering process for local consultant and architect assignments and construction contracts as per GIZ rules and regulations
• Advising design for projects in coordination with other modules of the programme.
• Technical Evaluation of the submitted proposals and creating up overall ranking
• Coordinates and ensures timely implementation of related processes and activities
• Coordinate with the country office to issue local construction contracts, consultant and architect contracts as per GIZ rules and regulations
• Resolving design and development problems of ongoing projects and where required proactively contribute with own design solutions.
• Undertaking third party construction supervision and quality monitoring of the ongoing construction works
• Professional documenting all relevant processes and filing of all relevant documents related to the planning and implementation
• Steering and moderating site meetings and preparing minutes of meetings
• Assuring quality and affirmation with regulated processes for all tasks conducted
• Checks and confirms invoices from local consultants and local construction companies from ongoing projects.
• Strictly applying a Do-no-harm approach in implementing activities.
• Coordinate activities in the executed projects with the Modules of the programme.
• Continuously reporting and coordinating with the Module 2 Team Leader on status and details of projects implementation and field work
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
• Supporting steering and monitoring of project implementation:
• Supports project designing and executing in the field of building and rehabilitation of infrastructure (e.g. community centres, recreational and sports facilities like parks, playgrounds, touristic infrastructure etc.).
• Supports project implementation of infrastructure to be used within the framework of selected value chains
• Supporting, controlling and monitoring of local consultants, architects or engineers who are commissioned with planning, tendering and conducting site supervision.
• Assessment of all building related documents e.g. planning reports, drawings, tender documents, bill of quantities etc.
• Supports in resolving design and development problems and undertaking construction supervision.
• Communicates, coordinates and monitors the involved parties on site (mainly local consultants /architects or engineers, local construction, companies , local authorities).
• Reports to GIZ office on monitoring results in coordination with module 2 team leader
• Prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme
Preparation and handling of tendering process for Local Construction and Local Architect Assignments:
• Shortlisting process and preparation of technical questionnaire for Architects
• Production of bid documentation (request for bid, bill of quantity, etc)
• Contact person in the country office during the tender process
• Mailing, recording and bid opening
• Evaluation, plausibility review, documentation of technical suitability and drawing up overall ranking
• Handling the documentation of the award decision as per GIZ rules and regulations
Issuing Local Construction Contracts:
• Review draft contract prepared by the country office for construction works on lump-sum and/or measurement basis
• Assuring the quality of contracting documents and alignment with GIZ rules and regulation and local laws.
Issuing Architect Contracts
• Review architect contracts prepared by the country office with all needed details such as construction supervision, progress report, contract supplements Increases/decreases in quantities, final reports, etc.