Supporting the Most Exciting and Meaningful Missions in the World
The Cable Technician will be based at one of three PAE sites in Iraq and serve the Operations and Maintenance Support Services (OMSS) contract in support of the U.S. Department of State.
The Cable Technician s primary responsibilities include the installation of Inside/Outside Plant copper and fiber optic cables, terminating all types of fiber optic connectors and installing cable in a manner consistent with Army regulations and Industry Standards and practices (ANSI/TIA/EIA/OSHA/NFPA).
This position will be based in Baghdad, Iraq and may involve travel to other sites within Iraq.
Candidates are expected to:
• Perform site surveys, perform testing on fiber and copper cables, be able to perform quality control on his/her work and participate in the planning stages of future projects
• Carry out day to day processes within the communications infrastructure to include the pulling, testing, toning, labeling, troubleshooting, and repairing of inside and outside plant wiring
• Supports field engineers
• Review and update facility drawings to facility manager.
• Utilize broad background in communication electronics and cabling infrastructure in order to fulfill various communication requirements
• Provide inside/outside cabling installations, install new lines and repair existing DSN phone lines and LAN lines using various media including but not limited to single and multi-mode fiber optic cable, CAT5e, CAT5 and RG59
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 3 years experience working as a cable technician
• High School diploma, or equivalent
• Must be willing to travel/deploy extensively, sometimes to hazardous duty areas to include Southwest Asia (SWA)
• Extensive knowledge of inside and outside cable plant infrastructure, engineering, installation, and testing ability to work with minimal supervision
• US Citizenship
• Active Secret security clearance
• Must meet overseas medical deployment qualifications
• Technical training equivalent to a technical Associate degree
• BICSI registered Technician
• Knowledge of NFPA / OSHA / ANSI-EIA-TIA standards and practices
• Excellent customer service skills and demeanor
• Demonstrated self-starter and demonstrated ability to independently resolve problems
• Ability to perform effectively in a fast paced environment with short timelines
• Ability to maintain a professional and courteous manner in difficult situations
• Ability to maintain high quality work to manage multiple critical projects
• Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of customers
WORKING AND LIVING CONDITIONS:
This position may be located in a war zone, in an environment with harsh and dangerous working and living conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be exposed to extreme and austere desert-like environment. Temperatures can reach 120- 130 degrees Fahrenheit/50-55 degrees Celsius during the summer months. Employees must be willing and able to perform regular job requirements in this austere, extreme environment, as well as willing and able to deploy to Iraq for extended periods. Work schedules are a minimum of 6 days per week and 10 hours per day, while some jobs have higher daily and weekly minimums. Employees must be willing and able to perform physical activities including, but not limited to, heavy lifting and moving of items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum; climbing in and out of equipment; crawling; and working outdoors. This includes being able to lift and carry 40 pounds of personal protective equipment for extended periods of time and being capable of running and duck & cover during emergencies without putting oneself or others at risk.
PAE is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster