The question ‘How to face an interview?’ often triggers anxiety and stress. A job interview for freshers can bring a lot of anxiety and stress. While there is an excitement to be finally plunging into the corporate world, there is also a fear of rejection.
It is natural for freshers to feel all sorts of conflicting emotions while searching for their first job. However, getting overwhelmed or letting negative emotions take the best of them and it certainly won’t help.
How to prepare for an Interview as a Fresher?
You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. To help you set the stage for yourself, here are the top 10 interview tips to your rescue:
1. Be on Time
Importance of punctuality cannot be stressed enough, especially for a fresher appearing for a job interview. It is one of the deciding factors, whether or not you will get the job. Even if you perform brilliantly during the job interview, there is a chance that you might not get the job for showing up late as it will make you look unprofessional. Here are a few quick tips to be on time on the day of the job interview:
* Get your things in place a night before the interview, including, clothes, shoes, CV, and other documents.
* Charge your phone and log out from your social media accounts to avoid distractions.
* Figure out the route to the interview venue, the time it will take to reach there and start from your home keeping a cushion of at least half an hour.
2. Carry all Documents
Another important interview tip for freshers is to know what documents are required for the job interview. Some of the most important things to consider are:
* Several copies of your CV. Make sure you take a print out of each copy as the print quality of the photocopied documents is usually quite low.
* Your academic documents, including, mark sheets, degrees, etc., and their photocopies. Also, carry internship certificates, recently clicked passport-size photographs, and identity proof(s).
* A letter of recommendation from the professionals under which you had done your college internship or any faculty member from your college.
* A good folder for all the documents listed above.
3. Look your Best
The third most important interview tip for freshers is about learning ‘How to dress for an interview?’ Making a good first impression plays a huge role in whether or not you will get the job, and dressing for interviews properly plays a huge role in making a good first impression. If you want to make a great first impression in your job interview that lasts, avoid making mistakes while dressing for an interview.
Follow the interview dress code by choosing an outfit that is professionally appropriate to the position you are applying for. You can read more tips in detail here.
4. Maintain a Positive Body Language
How you conduct yourself is equally important to what you say during the interview. Your body language during the interview gives the interviewer a peek into your overall personality and attitude. Ensure to maintain a positive body language. It will help you to earn brownie points. Here are some quick, easy and effective body language tips you can follow:
* Make eye contact
* Shake hands confidently
* Sit straight and maintain a graceful posture throughout
* Smile and nod whenever it is needed
* Use your hand while speaking
5. Research the Company
Freshers must research the company before the job interview. Having no knowledge about the company is one of the biggest turn-offs for the hiring managers. Many times, interviewers ask their candidates what they know about the company to eliminate the underprepared ones. It is advisable to know the company’s products & services, competitors, challenges, future goals and the past growth records. Doing so will:
* Demonstrate your enthusiasm for the opportunity presented by the employer.
* Allow you to show how your knowledge, skills, and values matched with the company you are interviewing with.
* Help you answer a number of interview questions such as:-
– What do you know about our company?
– Why do you want to work for us?
* Convey your intent of sticking with the company for a couple of years.
6. Prepare Basic Interview Questions
Most times, it is not the academic qualifications and skills that a fresher lacks, it is the confidence to handle interview questions they might get asked. This can be corrected if you know the common interview questions and prepare impressive answers beforehand. You can refer to our list and tips for answering 15 most common interview questions for freshers.
7. Maintain your Social Media Presence
Nowadays, recruiters check social media profiles of the candidates before calling them for the interviews. Being a fresher who has just graduated from college, it is quite possible that you may have some stuff on your social accounts that you might not want recruiters to see. Be cautious of what you post on your social media profiles, check the Facebook posts you are tagged in and untag yourself from the ones that look unprofessional. Do the same exercise for Twitter to review mentions on your profile.
Be active on your social accounts. Post and share interesting content that is current and relevant. Most importantly, make an impressive LinkedIn profile as that is where you can make strong professional connections.
8. Demonstrate Strong Communication Skills
Nowadays, almost every job posting mentions that a candidate must possess strong communication skills. Be it written, verbal or non-verbal, effective communication skills are a must, if you as a fresher want to nail a job interview. Here are few quick tips on ‘How to improve communication skills?’
* Listen to the interviewer carefully
* Think through your answers thoroughly before you speak
* Choose your words wisely and avoid using informal language
* Keep your answers crisp and short
* Last but not the least, ask questions
9. Ask Questions
Most first time, candidates make the mistake of not asking questions at the end of the interview. When the interviewer asks you ‘Do You Have Any Questions for Us?’, consider it as an opportunity to further highlight some of your skills and qualities. Asking intelligent questions will help you impress the potential employer with your knowledge and interest in the industry that you are going to be joining soon. Asking question is also a way to understand the company’s culture as well the role you are looking at. So, prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer well in advance. You can take a look at the following questions:
* What does a typical day for the person in this profile look like?
* What is the team/department strength?
* Does the job role require one to travel? If yes, how frequently?
* When can I expect to hear from you?
10. Follow-up like a Pro
Recruiters interview numerous candidates and may take time to get back to them individually. Following-up will help you stay on top of their minds. The best way to follow up is to send a thank you letter right after the job interview. After that, wait for some days or the time period under which the recruiter said s/he will get back to you. If you still don’t hear from the recruiter, send a follow-up mail. Here are some tips on ‘how to follow-up after a job interview’.
As a fresher, you might not have the work experience; however, there is something unique in everybody. You need to highlight your unique strengths to make a powerful impact on the interviewer. These fresher job interview tips will help you do just that.
All the best!
*Image Source: Rawpixel / Shutterstock.com