Teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) is a popular career option among global job seekers who wish to explore different places in the world. Dubai is one of the most sought-after destinations for teaching jobs, especially English teaching jobs. However, teaching abroad requires you to create a perfect CV that can help you market your skills in a new country.
How you design and write your CV depends on your background and your job specification.
While putting together all your details, remember to focus on the country, companies you are interested in and the job requirements. Highlight your educational details, teaching experience, training, certifications, and international job experience.
Guidelines for Writing a CV for Teaching Jobs
In general, the CV format for teachers must include these important categories:
1. Name and Contact Details: Include this detail at the top of the teacher CV, preferable left aligned.
2. Photo: Include a photo that looks professional, as schools and colleges prefer hiring teachers that look professional. Keep it on the right.
3. Work Experience: Mention the relevant work experience in your teacher CV with year, position, responsibilities and city. When providing professional details, avoid using abbreviations such as “V.P”, “MGR”, etc. Instead, use complete words such as “Vice President” or “Manager”.
4. Education: It is vital to highlight your academic details. Provide the educational credentials with degrees, year, institute and location. For example, TEFL certified with two years’ experience in teaching English at the University level.
5. Achievements: While mentioning the details of your last job, it is vital to highlight your achievements, for example, created and presented English-speaking material in workshops and universities, student enrollment or pass rate increased in several months, etc.
6. Volunteering Experience: Include any other volunteer experience that can add value to your CV like working at institutes to teach poor children, writing for magazines, tutoring, etc.
7. Interests and Experiences: You can share your interests that are relevant for the job in the teacher CV. For instance – a keen traveler, proficient in speaking English, Arabic, and Spanish.
8. Personal Details: Include the required categories such as career objective, personal detail, left aligned.
9. References: Keep at least three references ready that can be easily contacted by the employer whenever required.
10. Other Details: Do proper research about the job location and accordingly includes other information required in the teacher CV, such as citizenship status, marital status, date of birth, and a passport-sized photo.
11. Formatting: Use simple formatting and avoid complex fonts or graphics.
CV Sample for English Teachers in Dubai
Are you applying for teaching jobs in Dubai? Here’s an English Teacher CV sample you can take cues from: