Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation.
Careem s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region.
Careem NOW is Careem's newly launched on-demand delivery service for everything and anything, starting with food.
About the role:
As part of its goal to become the super app of the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan region, Careem is planning to add additional goods and services to its food delivery business, Careem NOW.
The selected Category Manager candidate will launch, and then scale, one or more of these new verticals.
Roles & responsibilities
• Launch one or more categories from ground zero
• Map out category breadth and product lines in each subcategory
• Develop key merchant partnerships required to get the MVP offering in place to launch the business
• Manage salespeople/key account managers
• Identify merchants required on the platform on an ongoing basis and shape sales and account management strategy accordingly
• Foster trust-based relationships with key Merchants to achieve better pricing and service levels in day-to-day operations
• Define and manage Merchant pricing and margins
• Ensure smooth Merchant ops and outstanding Customer experience through setting priorities, policies and action items for salespeople/KAMs and leveraging central Catalog, Merchant Ops and Customer Service teams
• Manage promotions using data-driven approach and margin analytics; determine positioning of category to maximise visibility across app and marketing channels
• Liase with marketing teams to ensure successful execution of campaigns and promotions
• Develop exit strategies for unsuccessful products
• Forecast demand and work with Operations to match demand with delivery supply
• Analyse data and drive insights to determine industry trends, consumer trends, and Careem NOW performance in the relevant categories
• Proven experience as an e-commerce category manager (preferable)
• Experience in building businesses from the ground up (preferable)
• Ability and willingness to get hands-on and execution-oriented in a complex operational environment
• Resourcefulness required to achieve aggressive targets with very limited resources in a start-up environment
• Commercial acumen
• Stakeholder/relationship management and negotiation skills
• People management and leadership experience
• Analytical and business planning skills
• Comfort with ambiguity and flexibility to operate in a rapidly changing environment
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with aggressive timelines and targets
• Topline growth e.g., GMV, orders, customers
• Efficiency e.g., gross margin, contribution margin
• Customer NPS
• Operational metrics e.g., cancellations, delivery time, order acceptance and processing time