• Leads and promotes clinical basic and translational research and publication of papers in accordance with Research and Advisory Council Policy in order to advance knowledge, improve the quality of post graduate education and contribute to the national and international recognition of KFSH&RC (Gen. Org.).
• Develops the department's Strategic Plan, Goals and Objectives in conformance with the overall strategic plan of Medical & Clinical Affairs. Provides quarterly reports on the progress made by the department on the Goals and Objectives.
• Ensures that the department and its staff performed in accordance with agreed Performance Objective Reports the Performance results to the Executive Director, MCA on a periodic basis. Undertakes and leads the conduct of any corrective action that may be requires to improve the performance results of the department and its staff.
• Ensures that patient care and clinical services rendered by the department are in accordance with the appropriate quality standards. Promotes the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs in the Department.
• Leads the initiative in maximizing the utilization of all resources efficiently within the department and coordinates the same across the Hospital.
• Ensures that patient care is provided in conformance with the Patients' Bill of Rights by the department and its staff.
• Obtains feedback from customers and interested parties and takes appropriate action as required. Uses the feedback to improve quality of patient care.
• Acts as a leader and a role model and promotes a culture of excellence.
• Ensures that there is adequate and uninterrupted staff coverage in the Department. Manages the work distribution and leave schedules of the staff and resolves related issues to ensure efficient workflow.
• Ensures resources are available to respond to routine, request or emergency service provision and to expand outputs, service and facilities as needed.
• Recommends appointment of Deputy Chairman, Section Heads and other senior staff members of the Department.
• Conducts annual evaluation of Departmental staff in consultation with Sections Heads and makes recommendations to Medical and Clinical Affairs.
• Fosters integration and collaboration with Nursing, Clinical Services, Administration, Support Services and other departments to ensure that required patient care is being provided, in accordance with standards laid down by KFSH&RC (Gen. Org.).
• Establishes systems and processes for assignment, evaluation and renewal of clinical privileges for the department staff and makes recommendations on the same. Monitors adherence of staff members to assigned clinical privileges and recommends immediate modification of clinical privileges to ensure patient safety, whenever is necessary.
• Enforces and monitors the adherence of all members in the department to the Medical Staff bylaws and rules and regulations and Hospital's policies and procedures.
• Reports, investigates and takes timely and appropriate action in response to non-conformities, complaints and incident reports.
• Prepares and manages the Annual Operating Budget of the Department and Annual Capital Equipment Budget for the medical and clinical units associated with the department, in conjunction with Nursing Affairs and Clinical Services, wherever applicable.
• Participate in Capital Equipment Purchase Planning, evaluation and implementation.
• Chairs regular departmental staff meeting to review and discuss patient care policies, education, research, resource utilization and administrative activities. Participates as a member of Medical Advisory Council.
• Develops policies and procedures for the department as necessary. Facilitates the development of Bylaws, rules and regulations and Hospital policies and procedures.
• Makes timely decision and authorizes all policies and procedures and bylaws for his department.
• Responds to any queries and requests from the regulatory and governance bodies.
• Abides by the current Hospital and Medical Staff Bylaws, all relevant rules and regulations and policies and keeps self-updated of any change that might occur.
• Follows all KFSH& RC (Gen.Org.) related policies and procedures.
• Participates in self, other's education, training & development as applicable.
• Performs any other related duties, as assigned.