Chef de Cuisine is responsible for menu design, manage the kitchen, food preparation, supplies ordering and kitchen staff for the general food service and functions. Also accountable for the kitchen inventory, organisation and on-going training of the entire kitchen staff.
Functional and Technical:
• Produce and present food in conjunction with the kitchen team, keeping abreast of current trends and wherever possible exceeding customer expectations.
• Cost all menus and special events requirements using the most up-to-date ingredient costs and according to agreed formula.
• Manage the production and planning of dishes in accordance with agreed procedures based on an analysis of customer numbers.
• Lead and implement all necessary tasks according to the Standard Operating Policies and Procedures (SOPP). Execute new updates and make amendments to the SOPP when needed.
• Ensure the efficient and smooth running of the kitchen.
• Develop menus & create and ensure adherence to recipes and product specifications.
• Check the quality of raw or cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
• Manage and leads the day-to-day operation of the kitchen by coordinating food production schedules which ensures the highest level of food quality, taste and presentation are met.
• Participate in actual food preparation, producing food that is consistently high in quality, taste and presentation. Expedite during peak meal periods as needed.
• Control food cost by assisting in training kitchen staff on the proper methods of food preparation and handling, by training kitchen, restaurant employees on how to handle and up sell leftover food items.
• Establish and set goals and targets for the kitchen. Anticipate and resolve problems concerning all facets of the kitchen, anticipating and monitor trends, enact approved profit-oriented and cost saving ideas/activities.
• Establish and require strict adherence to health department and food handling guidelines.
• Train kitchen staff on all new menus.
• Maintain effective communication within the kitchen; be responsive to staff suggestions and concerns and work to resolve problems.
• Interview potential candidates for job positions, appraise staff, grant bonuses and discipline members, including the termination of employment, when needed.
• Complete daily food orders based upon scheduled events and projected levels of business.
• Monitor sanitation practices to ensure that employees follow standards and regulations.
• Attend mandatory meetings including divisional meetings, executive meetings, staff meetings, etc.
• Keep work area clean and organized.
• Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics which inspire Team Members to meet and exceed standards.
Qualifications (Specific Knowledge, Skill and Ability)
• Minimum 10 years of experience in Arabic Cuisine
• A highly motivated leader, able to demonstrate strong organisational and management skills.
• Good working knowledge of accepted sanitation standards and health codes.
• Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts and portion sizes.
• Ability to read, write and understand the English language in order to complete requisitions read recipes and communicates with other employees and managers.
• Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment, i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.
• Ability to perform duties in confined spaces and within extreme temperature ranges.
• Passion for food - someone who enjoys the process of food preparation and creating menus
• A good sense of business; to be efficient and cost-effective
Industry Type :
Hotels / Hospitality
Functional Area :
Chefs / F&B / Housekeeping / Front Desk