Purpose of Consultancy:
The purpose of this consultancy is analyse Mercy Corps beneficiary selection process and criteria in order to assess the impact of our approach in communities, whether positive or negative, and provide advise on how to mitigate against harmful consequences. Exploring our impartiality, targeting approaches and impact this has on communities if not done well, with concrete suggestions on how to improve and mitigate against harm .
Areas of Inquiry: Conflict Sensitivity; Do No Harm; Impartiality; Beneficiary Selection; Vulnerability criteria; inter-community dynamics.
• Analyze Mercy Corps current and past programs in terms of beneficiary selection criteria and process. This might beneficiary selection for emergency first line assistance, selection of beneficiaries for repetitive assistance and community selection for interventions at community level. This will include Mercy Corps direct programming and that through local partners. A particular focus on cash interventions is preferred. Each geographical team will guide the consultant on which program to focus on.
• Review assessment and targeting tools from a conflict sensitivity perspective.
• Assess the impact MC s beneficiary criteria has had on the community.
• Understand other agencies approach to community selection, vulnerability mapping and beneficiary selection, specifically in regards to cash (or other programs as guided by the geographical teams).
• Provide advice on do no harm approaches, to mitigate against unintended negative consequences of beneficiary selection and community selection.
• Provide support on community selection process, to ensure MC and partners are mitigating against harm.
• Provide support on improving our process of defining vulnerability and eligibility criteria, specific to context and project, in a way that does not cause harm, especially in areas where such a high portion of the community are in need, and we cannot reach all.
• Provide recommendations on how to be inclusive in our selection looking at gender, people with disabilities, youth, minority populations, and other historically marginalized groups.
• Present analysis through report and provide clear and concrete recommendations.
• Facilitate workshop with relevant team members to discuss findings and ensure applicability to current procedures.
• Develop action plan for implementing recommendations, as agreed by Senior Management.
Timeframe / Schedule: 25 days consultancy from December/January until February 2017. Including the following:
• 15 working days in Amman, Jordan (at beginning and at end of consultancy)
• 5 working days in Beirut, Lebanon
• Potentially 5 working days in Derik, NE Syria (TBC)
The Consultant will report to: Senior Director of Programs
The Consultant will work closely with: Director of Programs, Programs Managers, MEL Manager; PaQ Manager; Programs team (in Beirut, Amman, Derik)
Required Experience & Skills:
• BA degree in international development, conflict mitigation, social sciences, international relations or other relevant field.
• 7 -10 years relevant professional experience with programming in conflict management, social stability or
• Previous experience of working in insecure environments.
• Experience in conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm is essential.
• Experience with programs that aim to prevent violent extremism preferred.
• Experience integrating conflict approaches into multi-sectoral programming
• Awareness of the sensitivities of working in the Middle East and the ability to ensure that the programs respect international agreements.
• Experience in implementing quantitative and qualitative research initiatives, including Theory of Change testing and impact evaluations.
• Experience and proven flexibility in advising program teams in adjusting activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders..
• Arabic language skills preferred.
• Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :