The Consultant - Dermatology plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities and implements decisions of the Departmental Council in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Dermatology department Policies & Guidelines. His/ Her focus includes ongoing audit and supervision of clinicians providing triage, patient assessment, treatment, integration with pathology and managing respective secondary care referrals in line with best practice.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Undertakes work in accordance with the Hospital s procedures and operating policies; works within agreed quality frameworks.
• Conducts complete skin examinations and delivers treatment for skin diseases, Pediatric dermatologic problems and Venereal diseases.
• Prescribes hormonal agents or topical treatments such as spironolactone, antiandrogens, oral corticosteroids, retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, and antibiotics.
• Provides dermabrasion or laser abrasion to treat atrophic scars, elevated scars, or other skin conditions.
• Provides therapies such as intralesional steroids and chemical peels to treat age spots, sun damage, rough skin, discolored skin, or oily skin.
• Participates and provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities.
• Recommends diagnostic tests based on patients' history and physical examination findings.
• Participates in assessment, implementation and evaluation of patient care needs.
• Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care, customer service, and ethical behavior.
• Monitors patients' conditions and progress and reevaluate treatments as necessary
• Guides patients on topics such as the need for annual dermatologic screenings, sun protection, skin cancer awareness etc.
• Undertakes all work in accordance with the procedures and operating policies, including Infection Control, Health and Safety, Risk Management etc.
Compliance with Medical Ethics
• Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Dermatology.
• Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically.
• Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
• Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by Continuing Medical Education (CME).
• Keeps up to date in developments relevant to best practice in Dermatology.
• Undertakes training and provides supervision in relation to identified training needs of staff within the service; subject to audit outcomes, identified continuing professional development and training needs.
• Participates in the provision of orientation, in-service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
• Helps in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the staff.
• Attends accredited conferences and meetings to update personal level of clinical practice, teaching and management skills in line with Continuing Medical Education (CME) requirements.
• Participates in the process of developing annual budgets for the Department.
• Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
• Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Dermatology.
KEY CONTACTS INTERNAL:
• Visiting & NMH Doctors/Physicians
• Heads of Departments
• Nursing/Reception Staff
• Patients and their Relatives & Friends
• Business Representatives / Professional Agencies
• General Public
JOB REQUIREMENTS Education : Bachelors Degree in Medicine with specialized training in Dermatology. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College), PhD or MD Degree in relevant specialty Basic Life Support Certification is desirable
Licensing: Valid License from Ministry Of Health- Kuwait to practice as Dermatology Consultant Experience : Preferably 12 years experience with minimum 7 years experience post Fellowship/Membership , PhD or MD in Dermatology OTHER SKILLS:
Administrative Skills: Cognitive, Prioritization, Problem Solving, Decision Making and Teaching skills; Team Player
Soft Skills: Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills
Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), Internet and Hospital MIS
Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English PHYSICAL & WORKING CONDITIONS
Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility, while also exposed to infections and close contact with the patients. Occasionally involves prolonged standing/walking, lifting supplies/equipment.