The Consultant Diabetology & Endocrinology plans, directs, administers and supervises activities for patients with hormone disorders and diseases of the body's glandular system in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules and Regulations and Diabetes Center Policies and Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care division to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director- Diabetic Center.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides In-Patient and Out-Patient consultations for disorders of the human glandular and hormonal systems.
• Examines patients for signs and symptoms of hormone imbalance, disorders or diseases such as osteoporosis, diabetes or thyroid malfunction.
• Recommends or orders diagnostic tests to better understand a patient's condition, interprets results and determines diagnosis.
• Prepares and reviews case histories and clinical records, examines patients and plans treatment/ medical management options.
• Conducts assessment of blood sugar level and insulin within a patient's body to diagnose diabetes.
• Explains the condition to a patient, once the abnormalities / illnesses is detected, prescribes treatment and conducts follow-up.
• Counsels patients on subjects such as diet, hygiene and other areas of preventative maintenance for problems such as hypertension and cholesterol levels.
• Administers and prescribes conservative measures of treatment as drugs, insulin and antibiotics.
• Monitors patients' condition and progress, and re-evaluates treatment as necessary.
• Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines for metabolic diseases, all kinds of Endocrine and related complications
• Considers the patient's safety as the first priority while working.
• Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
• Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
• Works in a seamless, integrated multi-disciplinary environment to provide the highest level of care
• Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior.
Compliance with Medical Ethics
• Ensures implementation of Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, rules & regulations and Diabetics Center policies & guidelines.
• Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Diabetics.
• Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically.
• Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved.
• Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Consultants while caring for the patient.
• Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by Continuing Medical Education (CME).
• Refers patients to medical specialist or other practitioner when necessary.
• Participates in continuous quality improvement programs for Diabetics services.
• Provides teaching materials as part of the professional development of the department staff.
• Attends the meetings of the Diabetics Center to discuss the rules & regulations, obstacles in work, incidents & complications encountered and suggestions to improve the quality of service.
• Participates in organizational performance improvement activities.
• Accepts all other additional assignments found necessary by the Clinical Director- Diabetics Center
JOB REQUIREMENTS Education : Bachelors' Degree in Medicine with specialized training in Endocrinology. Membership/ Fellowship (preferably of the Royal College) and/or MD Degree in relevant specialty Licensing : Valid License from Ministry of Health- Kuwait to practice as a Endocrinology Consultant Experience : 12 years' experience with minimum 7 years' experience post Fellowship/Membership or MD in Endocrinology. Other Skills Administrative Skills :
Analytical, Decision Making and Scientific skills; Attention to Details and Self Discipline
Soft Skills :
Excellent Communication and Inter-Personal skills.
Computer Skills : MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and Internet Language Skills: Good in written and spoken English, Arabic is preferred.. WORKING CONDITIONS
• Works primarily in an air conditioned, well-lighted and comfortable health care facility. May be exposed to infections and patient elements.
• Subject to unpredictable or crisis situations.
• May have to work long hours, in shifts and be available on call to deal with medical exigencies. Occasional prolonged standing/walking