Content Lead, Alhurra Digital
The Middle East Broadcasting Networks, Inc. (MBN) is seeking an experienced journalist to lead our Alhurra Digital Content team for MBN in Dubai. MBN is a non-profit, multimedia broadcaster that provides news and information to audiences in the Middle East and North Africa through television, radio and digital properties.
The Content Lead is responsible for setting the news agenda of the day together with the editor in charge and other colleagues within the organization. Reporting to the Editor in Charge, the Content Lead is responsible for leading the newsgathering and assignment process, and managing a team of multimedia reporters and producers in house and overseas.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the Content Lead include, but are not limited to :
• Managing day-to-day operations of the online desk, including internal and external footage sharing and content distribution.
• Assigning news personnel and equipment resources to specific stories.
• Making decisions on what stories to cover and assign/dispatch resources.
• Developing, maintaining, prioritizing and communicating assignment schedule to reporters.
• Keeping news staff apprised of breaking news and changes in assignments.
• Managing website and mobile apps content and layout.
• Effectively leading, mentoring and serving as a senior editorial resource within the team.
• Demonstrating strong news judgment.
• Ensuring compliance with the Journalistic Code of Ethics.
• Guiding the development of stories from start to finish.
• Interacting with direct reports and peers to share information and improve cross-departmental processes.
• Reviewing and editing news copy.
• Ensuring all MBN media outlets are perfectly updated and maintained (website, mobile app, OTT apps. etc).
• Ensuring the team consistently meets established editorial goals and deadlines.
• Planing and coordinating special events.
• Maintaining knowledge of current International and US events.
• Researching and developing daily story ideas, features and special news coverage.
• Reviewing audio and video assets for quality control.
• Assisting in creation of content plans (short, mid and long term).
• Leading idea process to turn data/insights into thought starters and sparks of creativity and stories.
• Leveraging consumer insights gained through analytics tools and social media team
Candidates are required to have:
• Bachelor s degree in journalism (or related field).
• 5 years of journalism experience.
• Demonstrated ability to act as a collaborative partner and provocative thought leader.
• Demonstrated editorial judgement with a mastery of journalistic ethics and libel laws
• Excellent verbal and written Arabic and English communication skills
• Strong people management skills.
• Proficient in online journalism and social media.
• Outstanding writing, rephrasing and subbing skills in Arabic.
• Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under stress with accuracy and balance.
• High attention to details.
• Demonstrated awareness of online/mobile production and content management systems.
• Passionate about taking a new-media approach to content: using data to inspire ideas.
• An understanding of media planning, distribution, measurement, optimization, and syndication of content.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the MENA region.
• Must be able to accommodate flexible work schedule to support 24/7 news environment, which could include overnight coverage.
MBN is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.