Purpose of the job
The Control Room Operator will support control room activities. He/she will be expected to operate the plant from the CCR aiding the Shift Charge Engineer and conduct the local operation of the plant to ensure it safely meets the required availability, reliability, efficiency, generation and cost targets, safely and within strict environmental limits.
Scope of the job
The Control Room Operator is responsible to perform periodical control room and local operation the power and water plant and making accurate and timely decisions on matters affecting local plant processes and performance and consulting with the Shift Charge when necessary. The role requires practical experience of the technologies associated with local operation of a modern large Combined Cycle Gas Turbine plant, Auxiliary Boiler and a wide range of auxiliary equipment. In addition to possessing a detailed understanding of Company safety rules and practical application of such in the field. Leading to authorization to perform the role of a Designated Person and understand the role of all staff involved in the application of the rules. I.e. Safety Controller, Safety Coordinator (where applicable), Designated Person and the Acceptor.
The Control Room Operator will report to Shift Charge Engineer.
The Control Room Operators key accountabilities encompass;
Health, Safety, Environmental & Quality Management
• Ensure compliance to all relevant safety, quality and environmental management procedures and controls within the defined area to guarantee employee safety and legislative compliance.
• Performs the role of a Designated Person through the application of the Company Safety Rules. Ensures effective implementation of safety rules on a shift by shift basis.
• Operates plant locally from CCR and/or field as necessary within defined operating parameters to ensure the safety of staff, legislative compliance, and a responsible environmental attitude
• Ensures full understanding of all related procedures and ensures no breach.
• Maintains frequency of safety and environmental walk downs, incidents and near misses reported.
• Adoption of safe methods of work and safe operational practices;
• Compliance with all relevant applicable laws, Directives and project documents;
• Compliance with the appropriate corporate Policies and Procedures
• Compliance with corporate internal controls
Support development and continuous improvement of relevant work instructions and procedures
• Performs the role of Subject Matter Expert in specialized areas of the local plant and provides practical training to staff when necessary
• Supports development of Saudi nationals within the team;
• Engages in performance management processes by suggesting and agreeing on objectives and meeting targets. Provides support to individuals in achieving the set targets whenever necessary.
• Engages in Site, Regional and Corporate initiatives.
• Actively involved as a team member contributing to the general motivation of colleagues a team values
• Operation of the plant, safety, reliably and efficiently to achieve plant performance and ensure optimum level of power and water export as required by the off-taker
• Conducts routine plant checks i.e. plant roundups and completion of log sheets
• Perform operational actions (i.e. valve operation, switching on/off pumps or resetting the local alarms etc.) to avoid any abnormal plant operations or to correct existing abnormalities
• Follows operational procedures and instructions to ensure work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
• Understand plant status at shift takeover and/or handover and exchanges important details to the shift team. Ensures accurate and detailed information is passed to the following shift.
• Co-ordination among the operations and maintenance teams for routine and corrective maintenance requirements.
• Performs periodic local plant test activities to ensure the reliability of trip devices and standby plant equipment
• Manages effectively plant transients in a safe and reliable manner
• Performs local plant start-ups and shutdown as required.
• Planning and controlled changeover/ shutdown of plant equipment for maintenance purposes
• Continuous monitoring in the field and analysis of equipment operating parameters for early prediction of equipment abnormal condition and initiate appropriate action to prevent unscheduled unit or equipment outage.
• Takes log readings and prepares shift reports and trip reports etc.;
• Supports review of operational procedures and trains subordinates for the changes.
• Raise work orders in CMMS to report plant defects and follows up on progress
• Coordinating with the SCE, FO and maintenance staff to schedule planned and unplanned maintenance activities
• Perform the duties of stand-in CRE whenever necessary
• To ensure the export quality of potable water to meet with the WHO guidelines and potable water quality standards set in PWPA.
• Participates in the plant’s Training and Qualification Program
Outcome, Results and Key Performance Indicators
• Plant Load Factor, Efficiency and Availability as a business plan.
• No reportable accidents because of failures of the safe system of work
• No trips from stable generation
• No reportable breaches of the Environmental Permit
• No customer complaints
• Supporting achievement maintain OSHAS 18001
• Supporting achievement /maintain ISO 14001
• Supporting achievement /maintain ISO 9001
• Net Dependable Capacity demonstrated during the annual performance test
• Daily communications regarding plant operational and people issues with Shift Charge Engineer and Field Operator
• Daily coordination and cooperation with operations, maintenance and external parties for operations, planning and forecasting purposes
• Regular communications with the Control Room team regarding operational issues, technical problems.