• Provide expertise as a senior in house counsel actively supporting the Canon Middle East and Canon Central and North Africa regional offices based in Dubai together with direct sales and service operations based in several jurisdictions across the Middle East, including Qatar, UAE and Saudi Arabia.
• Support the Emerging Markets Legal Group Management in creating and implementing strategy across a variety of business areas, sharing expertise with and providing direction to the Legal Group and local Business.
• Engage and manage effective and efficient external counsel support to supplement and support Canon Middle East and Canon Central and North Africa business.
What we give
With Canon, you'll get the support and encouragement you need to grow, from people who share your ambition. We'll invest in your professional development to help you learn and progress in your role with us. You'll find leaders who give you the freedom to explore new things and a team where knowledge is shared openly.
1. Case Management (Manage Legal Issues): Manage a variety of complex legal caseloads & tasks, without supervision (except where the subject otherwise requires), and which may include a variety of legal issues including contracts, marketing issues (including advertising & promotions), discounts & pricing policies, litigation/dispute management, corporate compliance.
2. IP Support (Provide IP Assistance): Support Canon Europe IP Department in relation to trademarks & general IP issues, including parallel trade issues, as required.
3. Project Management and Support:
- Participate in and contribute to local or regional general business projects/working groups within both regions;
- On request manage and/or participate in legal working groups/project groups within the EMEA territory, &/or supporting & advising other lawyers to manage the same;
- Assisting Canon Europe in relation to local PE issues
4. Risk Management:
- Participate and contribute to the development of compliance/risk management strategies anticipating legal/business impacts.
- Provide commercially appropriate solutions to complex business issues; supporting other counsel on a day to day basis as required.
- Staff Support: Support staff as required on a project and/or informal basis in order to achieve relevant commercial objectives, providing guidance, advice and feedback.
- Develop/provide/arrange for training in relevant legal & compliance areas.
5. Planning (Develop Legal Objectives): Support Legal Group Management in developing, planning and execution of Legal Group strategies & initiatives, taking responsibility for alignment with regional annual and mid-term plan objectives for others;
6. Client Relationship Management: Anticipate client needs & develop longer term partnerships with key internal client stakeholders and groups.
7. Budget/Finance Management: Responsibility for controlling & monitoring local legal spend in accordance with set budgets, assisting Legal Group Management in anticipating future requirements.
What we ask
We need people who can achieve the exceptional by working collaboratively, who have the courage to risk new ways of doing things and the ability to see the world the way their customers see it. We're looking for creative problem-solvers like you, someone who can ensure Canon stays ahead in an ever-changing world.
• Qualified lawyer or holder of relevant Master of Law degree or other degree with appropriate postgraduate legal qualification to practice law in any Western jurisdiction, preferably with an understanding of English law.
• Minimum of 5-8 Years of relevant in-house experience and success in managing regional indirect sales operations and local direct sales operations as a legal counsel, preferably with relevant experience in acting as an in-house counsel in the Middle East.
• General commercial generalist experience within a technology/manufacturing sector including distribution, agency law, compliance (including competition law, anti-bribery & corruption, and data privacy), entity set up, M&A, and general sales and commercial team support.
• Proficiency in English at working level required. Proficiency in Arabic or French language desirable.
• Basic competency in relevant computer systems & packages, including MS Office suite.
• Training skills (developing, organizing, delivering, arranging training on various legal & compliance topics).
• Ability to work independently, pro-actively and self-driven without day-to-day in house management supervision.
You will need
• Apply high standards of accuracy
• Apply business acumen
• Communicate effectively
• Create solutions to problems
• Focus on the customer