CARE is seeking a dynamic and experienced Country Director, based in Nairobi, Kenya to lead CARE s work in Somalia. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to work with a devoted team, to drive impact that benefits women and girls, addresses injustice and discrimination, and enhance the lives of poor and vulnerable communities. The Country Director is the senior leader and representative for CARE Somalia. S/he will lead the team to ensure the strategic visioning, development, funding, and implementation of CARE s program portfolio.
The County Director will be responsible for fulfilling the CARE International approved Performance Standards of Country Offices . S/he will oversee the development, funding and implementation of the Country Office (CO) program portfolio. The person in this role will be responsible for the management of adequate emergency preparedness and emergency programming and operations. S/he will establish and sustain productive relationships and political influence with government officials, donors and strategic partners. The Country Director will lead the CO's fundraising strategy to ensure the CO s financial viability. An organizational citizen, s/he will contribute to CI's global strategy, shares knowledge and support the generation of evidence to inform CARE's global programming.
In this role, the CD will be accountable for competent operational and risk management, including the proper management, well-being and safety of CARE staff and the proper stewardship of CARE's resources. The CD is expected to model and ensure systematic practice of CARE s core values - Respect, Integrity, Commitment and Excellence. S/he will promote Gender Equality and Diversity among Country Office staff.
The CD will be innovative, strategic and is expected to model new ways of working, will drive the teams toward the CARE 2020 vision, foster innovation, holistic planning and programming and work to build effective teams, coalitions and networks. S/he will encourage and practice on-going staff development to motivate and strengthen the teams resilience in the face of change.
• Build and maintain a strong, innovative senior leadership team
• Lead the design, implementation, and evolution of the Country Office (CO) strategic plan
• Oversee CO programming to advance CARE's vision and mission, in line with CARE's Program Strategy and standards for program quality
• Direct the mobilization, management, and accounting of all resources in the CO
• Oversee the management and development of CO human resources to ensure a diverse, skilled, and productive workforce
• Develop and enhance relationships, partnerships, and networks between the CO, other parts of CARE and external organizations to maximize CARE's impact on poverty and social justice
• Bachelor s Degree or equivalent in related field. Master s degree preferred
• 6-8 years of experience in senior management position in development or humanitarian field
• Demonstrated skills in influencing decision makers in adopting/reinforcing pro-poor policies and creating an enabling environment for social justice
• Strategic and Operational Management
• Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning and analysis
• Demonstrated management skills in an international setting
• People/Relationship Management
• Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership, and interpersonal skills
• Experience supervising and developing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural setting
• Demonstrated interest and ability to give feedback, develop, motivate and lead a diverse team to achieve results;
• Demonstrated use of positive coping strategies in stressful environments
• Must possess excellent resource mobilization skills
• Experience and skills in leading organizational change processes
• Experience with financial management as demonstrated by the ability to:
• Manage a complex budget
• Ensure donor compliance and reporting
• Ability to establish a learning culture within the CO and to facilitate knowledge sharing across CARE
• Proven experience developing and managing various forms of external partnerships
• Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :
HR / Human Relations / Industrial Relations