Data Scientist II
At Careem, our mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and create an awesome organisation that inspires. With this vast mission statement, we started by improving transportation and delivery in the region, and now we are expanding into Payment and we re launching a super-app, hosting multiple Careem and 3rd-party apps, to further simplify and improve people s everyday life.
We built the first multi-billion dollar tech startup in the MENAP region. The first line of code was written in Pakistan and we built on it further in Dubai and Berlin. We operate in 100 cities across 11 countries. We joined Uber officially in early 2020. We grew and attracted top global talent and grew a culture for bold ambitions, shooting for the moon, innovation with tight constraints, and being Careem/gracious.
The Careem AI team s mission is to drive competitive value from data at scale through building AI models to optimize user experiences, decision making, operational efficiencies, and lead the region s AI ecosystem. As one of the leaders of this team, you will be at the forefront of fulfilling this mission. You will be working with the top data science talent of the region, leveraging AI to solve the region s day to day problems, through state-of-the art machine learning, optimization, deep learning, and NLP models, that are deployed on top of our own in-house AI platform, serving users in real-time.
• Answer complex analytic questions from big data sets to help Careem shape its products and services in a better way.
• Implement strong data pipelines for Machine Learning algorithms that will be used in production.
• Implement large scale machine learning and AI algorithms.
• Design, implement and support ETLs/ELTs to process terabytes of data each week.
• Embark on exploratory data analysis projects to achieve better understanding of phenomena as well as to discover untapped areas of growth and optimization.
• Help define and track the appropriate key metrics for specific projects.
• Design and run randomized controlled experiments, analyze the resulting data and communicate results with other teams.
• Develop modern techniques, AI models and data that will enable solving previously unsolvable questions and unlock significant impact opportunities.
• Communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
• Build a fruitful relationship and collaborate with the AI counterparts at Uber, Careem s parent company, in order to leapfrog our tech by leveraging Uber s platforms.
• Participate in growing and contributing to the region s AI community.
• You will always challenge the status quo and continually investigate new data processing technologies and seek to ensure that we follow the industry best practices.
• 2 years experience in machine learning, predictive modeling, time series analysis, data mining, Big Data methodologies, transformation and cleaning of both structured and unstructured data.
• Advanced degree in a quantitative discipline such as Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or Computer Science.
• Strong problem solving and coding skills.
• Fluency in English along with excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency and demonstrated experience in at least 2 of the following: Python, R, SQL, Spark, Hive.
• Demonstrated experience with database technologies (e.g. Hadoop, BigQuery, Amazon EMR, Hive, Oracle, SAP, DB2, Teradata, MS SQL Server, MySQL) is a plus.
• Demonstrated experience with business intelligence and visualization tools (Tableau, MicroStrategy, ChartIO, Qlik) along with geospatial data processing skills is also a plus.
• Knowledge of Agile methodologies.