, Posted on May 15, 2018
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps implements a variety of programming throughout the Middle East in response to the diverse humanitarian and long-term development needs of the region. Mercy Corps has ongoing programs in Syria, Yemen, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Greece. Mercy Corps is committed to delivering high quality, high impact programming that reaches communities or individuals in need, wherever they are.
General Position Summary Mercy Corps seeks a impact-driven Deputy Regional Director (DRD) with a bias for innovation in the Middle East to guide strategic direction and support to Mercy Corps programs and initiatives in the region. S/he works closely with the Regional Director (RD) to ensure transformational change occurs through the combination of: programmatic impact in our communities; the ability to influence change makers at local and global levels; and a restlessness to innovate in search of better solutions. S/he will collaborate with the RD to build and sustain a cohesive regional management team ensuring the Middle East portfolio is geared towards excellence with heightened accountability measurements. S/he is directly responsible for enabling excellence in all operations functions across country teams. The DRD coordinates with managers and directors predominantly within the operations and finance departments to ensure support functions are of the highest quality and standards.
Essential Job Responsibilities STRATEG & PLANNING
• Assist in articulating a regional strategy for Mercy Corps Middle East;
• Contribute to the development of compelling country level strategies that integrate with a coherent regional strategy, and are aligned with Mercy Corps global Strategic Compass.
• Act as key partner for the RD to achieve an effective regional management team that delivers programmatic excellence and significant impact and influence in the region.
SUPERVISING OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT
• Provide support to RD and country teams on matters pertaining to strategy, planning, budgeting, programming and management.
• Assist in the administration of country strategies work plans and budgets throughout the fiscal year.
• Ensure effective human, material, financial and operational field support for all country programs, in cooperation with senior staff, prioritizing resource allocation as necessary.
• Engage in regular and timely communication with finance directors/managers and operations directors/managers, including travel to country offices as needed.
• Support country leadership in adhering to Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, including rollout of new initiatives and standards.
• Assist with the identification, location, set up and transition of Mercy Corps offices as necessary.
• Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development, and empower team towards excellence.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
• Create a work environment of respect where team members strive to achieve excellence and team culture is positive, transparent and focused on staff well being..
• Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and training of key Mercy Corps team members.
• Assist with the on-boarding of senior team members, ensuring they are set up for success and familiar with agency systems, procedures, and protocols.
• Ensure sound performance management and staff access to high quality learning opportunities, with a special emphasis on national team member development.
• Fill in as needed for Regional Director and for field leadership during transition.
ENSURING QUALITY AND INTEGRITY
• Ensure all programs in the region are achieving the highest possible impact and are in line with overall regional and global strategies.
• Ensure the integrity of Mercy Corps operations and program implementation through adherence to Mercy Corps and global best practices, policies and procedures.
• Encourage a culture of learning and innovation among all Mercy Corps staff in the region.
• Work closely with headquarters support units to ensure continuous quality improvement of field programs, and that teams are working towards achieving excellence, especially during rapid growth.
DEVELOPING PROGRAM AND PORTFOLIO GROWTH
• Provide direct support to new programming initiatives that build on country/regional strategies, and position Mercy Corps for complex programs and/or multi-country funding opportunities.
• Coordinate and prioritize the development of concept notes, proposals and other funding requests ensuring quality submissions that maximize chances for success.
• In the event of a major disaster or emergency in the region, work directly with Mercy Corps global staff to coordinate an appropriate and timely
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :
Desired Candidate Profile
EXTERNAL AND INTERNAL REPRESENTATION
• Ensure program coordination and information sharing within and between countries.
• Support regional knowledge networks to enhance strategies, learning agendas, collaborative action and common programmatic approaches to fostering greater regional coherence.
• Act as a key liaison between headquarters, regional management and country teams to effectively publicize program innovations and successes with RD.
• Help to ensure timely and targeted communication and information flow that highlight Mercy Corps regional and global impact.
• Connect teams to ideas, partners and resources to drive creative solutions for greater impact.
• Build strong constituencies among international and local civil society leaders, government officials, embassies, media and the general public.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with global and regional donors and partners that contribute to regional portfolio development, influence and impact.
• Represent Mercy Corps at external events to build voice, brand and influence.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility Regional management team members Accountability
Reports Directly To: Regional Director, Middle East
Works Directly With: Country Directors, Operations Managers/ Directors, Finance Managers/ Directors, Senior Management Teams as required inclusive of program teams. and supplemental support teams based at HQ in locations such as Portland, OR and/or Edinburgh, Scotland
Knowledge and Experience
• MA, MS or equivalent in international development, political or social science, public administration, business management, or another relevant field;
• At least 8-10 years field experience in senior management related to support functions and/or, direct program development and implementation;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically, and to solve complex problems at an organizational level;
• Detailed understanding of the finance, operations and administration mechanisms that support a grant/project implementation life cycle;
• Direct experience managing and supervising large teams, as well as staff mentoring and development;
• Confident communication skills applicable to donor relations, media outreach, and inter-agency coordination;
• Ability to handle multiple issues at one time, especially in emergency situations, and to organize and prioritize accordingly;
• Demonstrated proficiency and experience with US, UK, EU, UN and other public and private donors, government grant and financial management requirements;
• Demonstrated understanding of the critical humanitarian and development issues in the Middle East, and significant experience with the challenges of operating in the region;
• Arabic proficiency or knowledge is a plus.
• Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
• Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
Disclaimer: Naukrigulf.com is only a platform to bring jobseekers & employers together. Applicants are advised to research the bonafides of the prospective employer independently. We do NOT endorse any requests for money payments and strictly advice against sharing personal or bank related information.We also recommend you visit Security Advice for more information. If you suspect any fraud or malpractice, email us at email@example.com
People also searched for
Additional Information Required
Employer has requested some additional information along with your application for this job