The Expanded Function Dental Therapist (EFDT) performs preventive dentistry services including examination of dentition, surrounding tissues, oral prophylaxis and patient education to individual patients and groups field wide. The EFDT performs preventive dentistry techniques to high-risk patients including medically compromised patients, pre and post periodontal surgery patients and other patients with complex dental histories. Implements expanded duty functions for patients as delegated by a dentist.
The EFDT works in Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare Dental Services Division (JHAH DSD) and provides preventive dental services as allocated by JHAH DSD dental clinics field wide. Clinically the EFDT works with little or no supervision. Due to the type of patients managed by the EFDT functional guidance is provided from several specialty areas including periodontics, oral surgery, general dentists, preventive dentistry and the supervising dental therapist and the clinic supervisor.
Daily contact with emergency care and high-risk patients for the purpose of relieving pain and prevention of further dental disease. Daily contact with dental specialists in periodontics, oral surgery and general dentists concerned with the management of this group of patients. Frequent contact with other Dental Therapists, training of auxiliary personnel.
Expanded Functions Dental Therapist can:
• Perform all duties of a Dental Therapist.
• Examine teeth and surrounding tissues, interpret radiographs, records and identifies caries, defective restorations and diagnose periodontal disease. The EFDT will refer patients to a dentist for treatment when needed.
• Monitor care of high risk patients, including medically compromised patients and pre and post periodontal surgery patients.
• Provide dental hygiene care for hospitalized patients as requested by a dentist within JHAH.
• Maintain a recall system of patients for timely follow-up and recalls.
• Administration of local anesthetics for the purpose of pain control and hemostasis during periodontal maintenance procedures.
• Perform scaling and root planning.
• Serves as surgical assistant for periodontal and oral surgery procedures.
• Place, change and remove post periodontal surgery dressings and sutures as directed by a dentist or surgeon.
• Can provide professional dental hygiene treatment for patients with implants and maintain a recall system of these patients for timely follow-up.
• Serve as on-the-job mentor for Dental Therapist and Practical Dental Therapist.
• Prepare dental health education programs for the community, including school workshops, pre-natal lectures, group presentations and other dental health education workshops.
• Perform additional duties as assigned by Clinic Supervisor or assigned work director.
• Bachelor's degree in Dental Therapy/Hygiene obtained from KSA; or
• Associate degree from U.S.A. or U.K.; or any other country acceptable to JHAH DSD.
• Training programs accredited by the Saudi Ministry of Health would be accepted.
Minimum of 5 years experience as a Dental Therapist.
Certifications/Other requirements as applicable
• Fulfill the requirements to be licensed to practice Dental Hygiene in Saudi Arabia, along with a valid license to practice Dental Therapy from country of origin.
• Current CPR certification.
• Local anesthesia certified.
• Fluent in written and spoken English. Basic knowledge of conversational Arabic is desirable.
• Thorough knowledge of medical ethics and the ability to adjust to a large group dental environment in an industrial setting.
• Evidence of successful completion of expanded duties such as treating 15 advanced periodontally involved patients under supervision of periodontist and observing 5 periodontal surgeries.
• Demonstrates above average ability, knowledge, competence in expanded duty functions, and management of high risk and medically compromised patients.