A Fashion Designer should have the skills and knowledge to develop fashion design briefs with their team and manage the development of design concepts for commercial production. The Initial process includes conducting market research and trend analysis for the particular season and identifying a theme for the collection; then creating a mood board and color board based on the theme, develop an entire range according to the business specification and as per the theme board. After finalisation on the range with the team, create the tech pack for each style. Work with different teams to create a prototype design based on the techpack. Evaluation of the sample and documentation of the same is also done by the designer. Job Responsibilities
1. Conduct fashion design research & Determine key criteria for design brief :
a) Research on fashion trends and identify the emerging theme in a global market.
b) Product range and previous designs developed (if any) are reviewed to assess relevance to current design.
c) Business processes and client goals are identified.
d) Research is conducted on target market, materials, designs, processes and marketing materials according to the needs of the design
e) Themes/mood board/colours palettes/ fabric swatches identified with the team.
f) Quality control and standards for designs are identified with garment technologist.
2. Determine key criteria for design brief:
a) Design themes and style requirements of design are determined
b) Budget, cost points, and timing constraints are identified with merchandiser.
c) Requirements for use of fabrics, materials, suppliers, and production processes are determined.
d) Create mood board and color board.
e) Decide on fabric direction and trims according to season.
f) Develop a range according to the business plan.
g) Create techpack, which clearly conveys all guidelines for development of the sample.
h) Consult internal stakeholders to confirm feasibility and appropriateness of techpack.
i) Sketches, drawings, and samples are made to illustrate design requirements, as appropriate.
j) Provide techpack on the range to be finalized specify design processes.
k) Brief about the collection to sampling merchandiser, patternmaker, and garment technologist.
Job Description for Fashion Designer
l) Monitor procedures and checking points are determined.
m) Development of sample is monitored to ensure budget and time constraints are met.
n) Problems or inconsistencies in sample are identified and addressed.
o) Evaluate the prototype sample received.
3. Evaluate design development process :
a) Analyse the prototype sample along with the design team
b) Coordinate along with design team to check sample against the techpack given to the sampling merchandiser, the look and feel, and fit of the sample.
c) Identify the prototype for the feasibility of the garment in terms of sourcing of the fabric and the trims available for the span of production.
d) Identify various product testing to proceed with prototype
e) Incorporate modification of the sample until approved for final production.
f) Get approval on the prototype/final techpack, agreement finalized with the client complete documentation.
g) Document Design brief, development processes and outcomes
h) Complete Documentation processes, including filing and storing
• This job requires the individual to visualize and create the design by hand or using illustration software (Lectra Modaris, Corel Draw, Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop etc.).
• A designer should be up to date with emerging fashion trends, as well as general trends relating to fabrics, colors, and shapes.
• He/she should also have good communication skills, good sense of aesthetics, sound knowledge of sewing and pattern making.
• Should have thorough knowledge of work process required to execute the assigned job.
• Demonstrate proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
• Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of service and response
• Demonstrate ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment within the time frame.
• Abide by the working hours and make himself/herself available at the place of his work at the time specified for its commencement and shall not leave the work place before the specified closing time.
• Should demonstrate courteous behavior towards colleagues and superiors.
• Should respect Company policies and procedures.