For more than 30 years, M decins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
Yemen is currently facing a complex humanitarian crisis, as the conflict has exacerbated existing chronic vulnerabilities. Consequently, Yemen is considered as one of the worst humanitarian crisis.
Additionally, the country will likely be very severely affected by the covid outbreak. Although numbers are still relatively low, it is suspected that cases are widely under reported. Treatment capacities are alarmingly low, and the epidemics could take its toll on the country.
The blockade strategy implemented by the Arab coalition has the effect of suffocating the population, particularly by causing disruptions in the supply of food products, in the markets as well as imports; an increase in the price of basic consumer goods, including petrol, which reduces travel options and affects the provision of healthcare services; and finally, the disruption of agricultural and pastoral cycles.
Presently, MdM intervene in the Northern part of Yemen in the governorates of Sanaa, Amanat Alasima and Ibb. MdM strategy is based on 2 key axes:
• To provide primary healthcare services, including OPD, vaccination, nutritional care, sexual and reproductive health. 11 health facilities are directly supported.
• To provide mental healthcare and psychosocial support (MHPSS) in specific healthcare institutions and via a network of CHVs trained in detection and community awareness-raising.
In addition, since 2019, MdM is operating in South Yemen in 5 health facilities, in Lahj and Abyan governorates. A package of services similar to those existing in the North is provided by the MoH with the support of MdM team. Activities are overseen from Aden, where the field coordinator will be located.
MdM intends to continue developing its presence in the South in 2021 along two axis:
• Expanding its operational presence in new health facilities in needs of support
• Developing new projects aiming at providing assistance at migrant population from the Horn of Africa that crosses Yemen on their way to Saudi Arabia
Under the supervision of the general coordinator based in Sana a, you supervise the overall field project team and ensure the close collaboration between the logistics, medical and administrative departments and good team spirit.
You ensure smooth implementation of the project in South Yemen, according to project proposal including budget monitoring of activities, coordination with other NGOs and government bodies. You ensure team security and safety and compliance with security regulations for the staff under your own responsibility and you assess continuously the humanitarian and security situation in the field and timely inform the general coordinator.
You manage directly the team in Aden (around 26 staffs): 1 health program coordinator (expatriate) and national (including medical supervisor, liaison and security officer, admin officer and logistics officer). You get the technical support of the country coordination team that is based in Sanaa (general coordinator, medical coordinator, admin coordinator and logistics coordinator).
Your main responsibilities are:
- Ensure adequate information flow within the different departments (medical, admin/fin and logistics)
- Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments
- Create/maintain a team spirit within the different departments and amongst the staff
Program implementation and management
- Create tools to be used by the team, support team communication, efficiency and effectiveness with tasks
- Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative/finance and medical
- Continuously assess the needs & adjust the programs to the needs in collaboration with the coordination team
- Contribute to the definition/revision of MdM strategy in South Yemen, draw up scenarios and proposals and support the budget creation/revision for future/new activities in collaboration with the coordination team and relevant departments
- Ensure familiarity with donors compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
- Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place (with the support of coordination: finance, HR and logistics), maintained and adhered to that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently
- Ensure regular communications are maintained between the different departments and act as a mediator when necessary
- Responsible for accurate budget control and overall responsibility for financial management at the project site in line with project proposals
- Ensure, in coordination with the finance coordinator that financial needs are well planned according to activities workplan
Human resources management
- Be responsible for the well-being of all team members and conduct regular team building activities
- Contribute to recruitment and selection of national staff where relevant
- Be responsible for the disciplinary and grievance procedures of the national team under your line management
- Maintain good inter-team communications, engender good team dynamics, and take suitable action when problems occur
- Support team members professionally and monitor and support stress management, including regular documented team meetings for planning and reporting purposes
- Carry out appraisals as per MdM standard requirements and procedures
- Ensure all new team members are adequately briefed on arrival in the field, and departing team members are debriefed