U SAID Monitoring & Evaluation Support Project (MESP), South Sudan
The Monitoring and Evaluation Support Project (MESP) provides USAID/South Sudan with flexible, demand-driven technical, analytic, advisory, training, monitoring, evaluation, and related support services for performance measurement, including assisting the Mission in complying with new requirements under USAID Forward. The project includes monitoring and evaluation technical support to the Mission for performance management at all levels as well as support to assessments, analytical research, and related services required for new project designs, sector strategies, and broader strategic revisions.
**Please note: Only South Sudanese citizens are eligible for this position.**
Under the direct supervision of the monitoring and verification manager, the field monitor will be responsible for monitoring project-level activities and contextual indicators and assessments, ensuring high quality and timely project monitoring and assessments reports. S/he will ensure that projects maintain their strategic direction and that activities are completed on schedule. The field monitor will be responsible for designing, implementing, and reporting monitoring activities, including activities planned for rapid assessment, and s/he will assist the monitoring and verification manager with monitoring activities of all projects funded by USAID on regular basis. Field monitors will also collaborate with: USAID/South Sudan s program office and technical teams; MSI s technical teams; implementing partners (IP) project teams; local community members; and government officials at the state and county levels.
• Actively contribute to fine-tuning of third party monitoring, inspection and rapid assessment procedures.
• Monitor and verify all IP project plans, activities and progress towards achieving project outputs including monitoring conflict triggers and analyzing context in which projects operate.
• Monitor and assess overall progress on achievement of results, including access, availability of services and products, usage and benefices effective demand.
• Monitor and report on Do-No-Harm principle of USAID IPs activities.
• Monitor sustainability of project results.
• Provide feedback of the monitoring and verification findings to IPs project team, USAID project COR/OAR and USAID/South Sudan programs office team.
• Suggest strategies to IPs project team, USAID project COR/OAR for improving efficiency and effectiveness by identifying bottlenecks in completing project activities developing plans to at least minimize such bottlenecks.
• Prepare monitoring report of project activities and report to M&E manager.
• Assist project personnel with M&E tools and support them in the use of the tools.
• Observe and verify soft and hard activities in the field using technology based data collection techniques.
• Collect photographs, GPS coordinates, and other verification related media as security and policy allows.
• Conduct thorough monitoring visits and ensure questionnaire responses are complete, relevant, and reasonable.
• University degree, preferably in social sciences or related field.
• At least four (4) years of experience monitoring and/or implementing development projects.
• Demonstrate working knowledge of M&E application, methodology and development issues.
• Working knowledge of Juba Arabic and one or two of South Sudanese local languages.
• Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
• Proven computer skills, including data analysis software(s).
• Familiarity with Android smart phones a plus.
• Strong training and facilitation skills.
• Experience conducting surveys or other research in the field.
• Demonstrate commitment to improving the quality of work conducted and delivered, including going through periodic training sessions for monitors in full adherence to MSI and USAID/South Sudan standards and guidelines.
• Demonstrate integrity by showing professionalism, transparency and impartiality in monitoring.
• Display cultural, gender, religious, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
• Complete and multi-task by establishing priorities while taking into considerations special assignments, changing priorities, frequent interruptions, available resources and deadlines.
• Establish, build and maintain effective working relationships with staff and clients to facilitate the provision of monitoring support.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.