SOS Children s Villages International is the umbrella organisation for the global federation of SOS Children s Villages. As a non-governmental social development organisation we support children without parental care and families in difficult living conditions through services in care, education, health and emergency relief, and we advocate for the rights of children and young people, in alliance with a great diversity of partners. We work in 135 countries and territories, reaching over one million children, young people, families and caregivers each year. For the Regional Office CEE/CIS/Middle East we are looking for a committed:
Finance & Controlling Advisor (f/m)
Location: International Office Region, CEE/CIS/ME (IOR EUCM), Office Amman, Jordan
The position of a Finance and Controlling Advisor is a direct report to the Head of Finance and Controlling in the Office in Amman.
It provides services to Member Associations in the Middle East in order to comply fully with the Federation quality standards and regulations set out in the area of finance and controlling. This implies targeted support to deliver accounting and other financial data in high quality and in time to the Federation (technical and content support, training and building capacity, monitoring). It implies the overseeing of the overall funds management process between Member Associations and Donors, in particular the monitoring of budget execution, forecasts and liquidity, with a focus on international transfer funding. Moreover the position supports the Member Associations and the Federation Management Team with financial and deviation analysis, it contributes to the development of mid-term strategies and plans. It advises on and conducts internal risk assessments and monitors actions derived from such assessments.
By providing this support, the position holder contributes to the smooth running of the various processes in Finance & Controlling and ensures the proper flow of information between programs and donors.
Tasks and Responsibilities
• Support and monitor that Member Associations meet the global federation standards in their financial procedures in national programs of child and youth care and family strengthening.
Those procedures include planning & budgeting, accounting, controlling and reporting, liquidity planning and funds transfer, external audit process, setting up an appropriate internal control environment and follow up implementation of recommendations from external and internal audits.
• Support and monitor the performance of national finance staff in institutionally funded development projects in Member Associations, including support along the full project management cycle
• Monitor and oversee the financial implementation of development projects in line with donor and SOS internal requirements
• Ensure first level support to Member Associations for the functioning of the global joint accounting system MS Dynamics Navision
• Support and advise Member Associations in developing crisis contingency plans, long term Strategies, and monitor implementation in a cross-disciplinary approach with other functions experts
• Build capacity of national finance departments in Member Associations and advice on cost effective work organisation
• Set up strong affiliation with Member Associations through regular country and program visits, have a deep understanding on the needs and capacities of the finance staff in programs and successfully work on building them up
• Give strategic planning support and provide financial reporting and analytics to the Head of Finance and Controlling in the office in Amman
• Work closely with line managers and other functions experts in country teams to optimize the Member Associations support as well as to ensure that internal control activities are effectively set in place
• Contribute to financial policies and quality standards definition
• Join regular meetings of the regional finance team and participate and proactively contribute to the regional finance network of Member Associations
• Manage / participate in regional or global projects
• University degree in economic science, preferably in the area of accounting, banking, financial controlling or business administration
• Proven track record of minimum 5-6 years in profit or non-profit sector in a position of senior accountant, financial controller, working along the whole financial cycle (planning, budgeting, forecasting, controlling & reporting, liquidity planning and funds management, accounts closure, annual and midterm perspective, financial strategies)
• Experience in working in institutionally funded development projects is an asset (institutional donors like EuropeAid, USAID, SIDA)
• Strong MS Office skills (MS Excel, PowerPoint), virtual collaboration platforms
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Distinct advisory skills with a strong service-oriented mind set
• Excellent in spoken and written English and Arabic language
Readiness and ability to travel in Middle East countries
Knowledge in accounting software MS Dynamics Navision, or related ERP systems is an asset
Experience in internal audit work is an asset
Readiness and ability to travel up to 30% of working time in middle East countries of the region
A demanding position with a diverse range of tasks in a leading international NGO s multicultural work environment
Opportunity to work for a well-respected organisation of global reach that is working for a meaningful cause, making a significant contribution towards the life of children and youth
• Opportunities for further learning and development, including a comprehensive onboarding and training program in and outside the middle East region
• A committed and innovative team and management culture A fair reward package that will be commensurate with experience and qualification