Qatar Biomedical Research Institute (QBRI) , part of Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), is a national center of excellence in biomedical research. It aims to transform healthcare by harnessing and converting the latest advances in science, medicine and technology into novel discoveries that will lead to more effective treatments and preventive strategies for human diseases such as: diabetes, cancer and neurological disorders. The institute strives toward the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic strategies to facilitate early diagnosis, treatment and management of these devastating diseases with the purpose of improving personalized medicine and healthcare. QBRI has recently occupied state-of-the-art life sciences laboratories on a newly established research campus.
Building on existing strengths, QBRI is committed to developing a center of excellence in diabetes with an emphasis on investigating the genetic and environmental determinants underlying diabetes and its complications, including its identification predictive markers and therapies.
Full-time Stem Cell Investigator positions
QBRI is recruiting independent, full-time Scientists (equivalent to Assistant Professor), Senior Scientists (equivalent to Associate Professor) and Principal Investigators (equivalent to Full Professor) to pursue research in stem cell biology in the Diabetes Research Center. The focus of our research projects is to use human-induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs) to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying diabetes, insulin resistance, and pancreatic beta cell development.
These positions offer outstanding scientific resources and generous funding opportunities amid existing expertise; access to state-of-the-art core laboratories and to a homogeneous and genetically unique population. In addition, there will be the opportunity to take a joint academic appointment at the College of Science and Engineering or College of Health and Life Sciences at HBKU. The positions offer ample opportunities for interaction and collaboration with national, regional and international universities, research institutes, clinical entities and organizations.
• PhD degree in biological sciences or equivalent
• At least five years experience in the field of stem cell research focusing on pancreatic beta cell differentiation
• Extensive experience in leading research projects with an outstanding record of research accomplishments
• Record of productive scholarship; mentoring students and postdoctoral fellows
• Solid experience with human pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs and hESCs)
• Experience in genome editing technology would be advantageous
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and analytical skills and the ability to work in a highly cooperative team environment as well as independently
Completed applications will be reviewed and interviews will be arranged with selected candidates on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.