To assist Saudi Aramco and Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare employees and their dependents to achieve and maintain good oral and general health; to provide adequate diagnosis and complete dental treatment planning and delivery to fulfil the health needs of the patients; to educate patients in good personal oral health care and to attempt to motivate patients to incorporate good oral health care practices in their daily routines.
As a healthcare professional, the General Dentist functions as assigned in the dental clinics of any Saudi Aramco and Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare community. Professionally, the General Dentist functions independently, bearing responsibility for the oral health care of his/her patients. The General Dentist provides clinical care of patients and frequently serves as a consultant in the fields where he/she is especially qualified. The General Dentist scope in dental practice is very broad for he/she functions to some degree in all areas of general dentistry. The General Dentist provides work direction to dental assistants and other ancillary staff members on a daily basis.
• The General Dentist s principal contacts are with Saudi Aramco and Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare employees and dependents who seek his/her care on a daily basis.
• Other contact is with the supervising dentists who provide administrative supervision and overall professional guidance; with other dentists and physicians on a consultancy basis; with dental therapists, assistants and laboratory personnel.
• Frequent contact will be made with the Physician Manager, General Dentistry, Physician Manager of Specialty Care Services.
• Occasionally, contact will be made with the Chief, DH Clinical Services Division, Director, DH Operational Services Division and the General Manager, Dental Services Department.
The General Dentist provides direct outpatient care in all areas of general dentistry in consultation with dental specialists, physicians and other health professionals as required for the best interest of the patient.
Patient Examination and Evaluation:
• Examines clinically and radiographically the hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity and head and neck region.
• Identifies and records developmental abnormalities, caries, fractures, root exposures, erosions, abrasions, and defective restorations of existing teeth. Records condition and existing pathology of the periodontium, and other soft tissues of the mouth, temporal mandibular joint, muscles of mastication, occlusal relationship, and other areas of the head and neck region.
• Orders, exposes, and interprets intra and extra oral radiographs of the teeth, alveolar ridges, temporal mandibular joint, and other hard tissues of the cranial facial complex. Uses radiology techniques and safeguards that will assure maximum diagnostic results and patient protection against radiation hazards.
• Diagnoses existing pathology of the above mentioned areas utilizing other aids such as study casts, electric vitalometers, transilluminators, thermal aids, percussion and palpation. Triages appropriately utilizing input from specialty consult. Triages appropriately utilizing input from specialty consult. Refers those patients who require treatment (appointment of ER) beyond the General Dentist level of credential privileges.
• Interviews patient and records medical history. Orders appropriate medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis of systemic disease which would affect the course of dental treatment. Takes and records the patient s vital signs, including blood pressure, and refers patients for appropriate medical evaluation when indicated.
• Plans a course of treatment based on the findings of the clinical and radiographic examination, the patient s needs, which is consistent with the philosophy and policies guiding the delivery of dental health care in Johns Hopkins Aramco Healthcare clinics.
Patient Education and Management:
• Ascertains the patient s interest in dental health care, treatment expectation, as well as availability, and when applicable, explains all aspects of dental disease, planned treatment, and costs as required to assure complete understanding on the part of the patient.
• Responds effectively to behavioral and cultural differences in individual and groups in a multinational setting.
• Advises patients regarding personal oral hygiene practices and habits, such as smoking or improper diet, which constitute a hazard to health.
• Capable of functioning competently in all areas of general dentistry.
• Performs preventive procedures on adults and children including; dietary analysis, caries susceptibility tests, prophylaxis, topical fluoride therapy, oral hygiene instructions and application of dental fissure sealants.
• Prescribes and administers pre-medications to patients as indicated and utilizes local anesthetics for control of pain. Recognizes adverse reactions to these agents and takes immediate necessary measures to counteract such reactions.
• Adjusts occlusions as necessary to provide an acceptable pattern of centric contact, an acceptable pattern of grouped functional contacts and elimination of non-functional contacts.
Principal Duties (cont'd)
Patient Treatment (Continued)
• Treats and restores decayed and fractured teeth of adults and children under adequate isolation to remove decay, and shapes cavities to receive the restorative materials of choice (gold, silver, amalgam, resin, porcelain), places appropriate medications and bases to treat or protect the remaining tooth structure, places, carves, finishes and polishes the restorations to restore function and appearance.
• Prepares teeth and soft tissues for the placement of fixed or removable prostheses (bridges, partial dentures, full dentures) to replace missing teeth or to regain stability through splinting when indicated. Makes accurate impressions and precise inter-occlusal records for the fabrication of dental prosthetics appliances.
• Removes diseased or fractured teeth which are beyond repair. Performs other oral surgical procedures. Recognizes and treats or refers for treatment, diseases of the pulp and periodontal structures.
• Provides emergency after hours dental services to hospital in-patient and emergency room referrals.
• Recognizes orthodontic problems of patients. Designs, fits, and adjust removable appliances for minor tooth movement or for space maintenance.