General Position DefinitionShell is undergoing a restructuring of its portfolio In Iraq, with an exit from the Majnoon oil field, expansion plans for the Basra Gas Company JV and a plan to establish a world scale petrochemicals project in country. The different stages of these projects require different types of engagements with various governmental stakeholders to achieve each project's objective and ensure minimal disruption to operations. Effective communication strategy and implementation is required to ensure that Shell remains well respected by government counterparties and positioned for future growth opportunities. Position description - Purpose
• Bring deep understanding of the external context in Iraq from an economic, political and societal perspective for better informed decision
• Create and maintain strong understanding and relationships within key players in Iraq (political, governmental, diplomatic, media, International Organizations) in Iraq.
Position description - Accountabilities
• Be an in-country advisor to Iraq LT and Shell business leaders in country on the external engagement strategy to achieve cross-business goals and enhance Shell's business in Iraq.
• Guide project leads on the resolution of difficult political or governance issues. The incumbent is expected to possess knowledge and judgment to identify issues that require appropriate consultation.
• Possess demonstrated ability to communicate difficult messages with confidence, credibility and courage to senior Shell leaders and government officials. Specifically, the candidate will have strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to communicate complex technical and/or legal issues to both internal and external stakeholders; the judgment to challenge and ask probing questions appropriately; and the ability to handle multiple matters on a rapid basis as needed.
• He/she will have the maturity and judgment to balance competing interests of internal and external stakeholders and to ensure that the business fully understands political risk and opportunities, even when this requires challenging business views/positions.
• Bring external insights and deep understanding of Iraq's social, political and economic contexts back into the Shell organization by:
• Fostering relationships with government stakeholders, media outlets, NGOs, industry bodies and other relevant stakeholders to ensure Shell is well represented and to create an effective feedback mechanism on trending reputational issues
• Monitoring traditional and social media for news on Shell and competitor activities as well as trends and events affecting Shell's business then collating and disseminating to relevant internal stakeholders
• Contribute to enhancing Shel's reputation by:
• Developing key messages for Shell Iraq to highlight key accomplishments in technical delivery, asset performance, social performance, employment and others
• Supporting and challenging Iraq LT on communication approach and content in line with business needs and with Shell standards
• Planning and executing Iraq related industry and media events in and outside of Iraq
• Developing external communication content such as company profile, presentations, stories, press releases, interviews, Q&As
• Maintaining strong links and full alignment with BGC Corporate affairs team to ensure consistent messaging of the JV and Shell
Position description - Dimensions
• Contribute to advancement and promotion of Shell projects in Iraq
• Build relationships with external stakeholders
• The successful candidate will be comfortable operating externally and internally at different levels of seniority
• Develop relationships and communications content to manage Shell's reputation in Iraq
• Work in partnership with Shell's businesses, other ER & GR teams, Safety/ Environment, Internal Communications and other related Functions
Position description - Special Challenges
Special Challenges Requires a high level of personal motivation (self-starter) and independent judgment
Dealing simultaneously with multiple critical issues affecting Shell Iraq's reputation that demand in-depth analysis
Understanding issues from a variety of stakeholder perspectives and assessing their current or potential implications for Shell
Understanding complex technical, commercial and reputational issues.
Support to new business development opportunities and related government related stakeholder challenges
Need to influence in Shell operated ventures (BGC)
Working across cultures and diverse backgrounds and with virtual teams
Auto req ID: