Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
• Demonstrate visible leadership and adherence to Mercy Corps core values, principles and strategy;
• Ensure that all programs are implemented to the highest standards that adhere to industry norms/regulations, while working in a challenging environment;
• Ensure program objectives across all MC NES Program portfolios and deadlines are tracked and met;
• Ensure that activity design and implementation addresses gender and protection dynamics to ensure equitable participation in all MC NES Program interventions;
• Oversee the performance of the MC NES Emergency team across all offices, including field teams and partners;
• Support overall partnerships strategy in NES and ensure performance reviews and capacity building schemes are taking place, in collaboration with the Syria Partnership Team;
• Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donors obligations are met;
• Ensure all program management minimum standards are met including risk management.
Program Management and Coordination
• Oversee program management of teams across various field locations;
• Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to MC NES Humanitarian Program-wide program implementation;
• Support and oversee new program start-up;
• Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan;
• Ensure all programs and projects are well coordinated with each other and work towards a coordinated and integrated approach within the humanitarian department;
• Work closely with the Area Director of Programs to support the integration of programs with the other departments;
• Provide management and guidance to all Emergency Team members, the integration strategy across programs, including working with the PaQ department to ensure monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), gender and protection mainstreaming are integrated across the program;
• Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
• Coordinate and oversee grants developments and reporting deadlines and any other tasks in collaboration with the Grants Manager, to ensure timely and high quality inputs are provided;
• Coordinate and oversee quality programming in collaboration with the PaQ Manager and the Technical Advisors, to ensure MC NES humanitarian programs are meeting minimum standards and are quality and evidence driven across all stages of the programs cycle.
• Actively support and take part with relevant team members in all Sectoral Coordination platforms, by attending, responding and inputting regularly all on coordination requirements (meetings, Action Points, 4Ws etc );
• Work closely with the Area Director in all areas and phases of the program cycle.
• Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect and motivation where team members strive to achieve excellence;
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular team meetings and performance reviews;
• Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives;
• Work closely with Area Operations Director, to ensure supply chain, fleet, and procurement needs are in line with program implementation plans
• Ensure the Emergency Team is aware of program operational requirements and are well communicated with the operations team
• Work with program teams to ensure high quality technical specifications are provided to the operations team and the operational requests are in line with FP3 and donor rules and regulations around procurement and commodity / asset management
Influence & Representation
• Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with NGO partners, sub-grantees and other stakeholders as required;
• Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
• Interact with donors and external actors professionally to represent the program and advocate for the rights and needs of the vulnerable communities we aim to serve.
• Maintain oversight of access provisions to ensure Mercy Corps continued ability to access our most vulnerable and hard-to-reach beneficiaries;
• Stay abreast of political and military dynamics across NES and Syria in general by regularly reviewing the Humanitarian Access Team and other Advisors analysis of security to feedback on current and future program setups;
• Coordinate with the Area Director on crucial events, high-risk periods and incident reporting.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Program Participants
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
All the Emergency Team members (around 15)
Reports Directly to: Area Director
Works Directly with: Area Director of Programs, Operations Director, Grants Manager, Finance Manager, HR Manager, Security Manager, PaQ Manager and PaQ Team FSL TA, Gender and Protection TA, IMS Team
Knowledge and Experience
• BA/S or equivalent in relevant field required, MA/S preferred;
• Experience in working with US Government funded projects, primarily Food for Peace
• At least 7 years of senior-level leadership and management experience in large and complex programs including humanitarian operations, previous work experience in the Middle East and insecure environments preferred;
• Relevant knowledge and experience in one of the relevant technical sectors
• Strong proven expertise in both Food Security sector and Cash Transfer Programming