OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
In this role the international consultant will be responsible for the following:
• Providing political and technical advice for the implementation of the project, including with regards to its political impact and conflict sensitivity;
• Monitoring political developments, including at the local level, in Libya and how they can affect the process of national reconciliation, local dialogues and the implementation of the project;
• Maintaining relations with partners and stakeholders in the national reconciliation process, to ensure an inclusive and participatory approach to the project implementation.
Under the overall strategic guidance of the UNDP Country Director, the consultant will report to the Project Manager and perform the following duties and tasks:
• Provide political and technical advice on the implementation of the project, including its political impact and conflict sensitivity;
• Draft mandated publications, briefing notes, terms of references, activities, reports and concept notes, for planned activities related to national reconciliation, national dialogue, and transitional justice, in line with the project document;
• Assist, on the basis of inclusive consultations, on the selection of participants and partners for the project s activities (workshops, meeting, local dialogues);
• Ensure the coherence of the project with the UN Action Plan and UNSMIL overall activities and other ongoing peace or mediation efforts, and how they can reinforce one another;
• Provide support to the elaboration of a national strategy for reconciliation based on thematic groups, geographic meetings, and other consultations, and assist in the organization of these various activities;
• Support the conceptual and analytical work of the national consultants recruited through the project;
• Identify needs and provide support for capacity-building on national reconciliation through advice, expertise, and technical support;
• Brief and consult with senior management at UNSMIL on project progress and provide information and advice as required to ensure a coherent approach with other initiatives.
Monitor political developments in Libya and how they can affect the process of national reconciliation and the implementation of the project:
• Gather, select and analyze information related to national reconciliation issues in Libya, from different sources;
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political developments in Libya, and in particular how they relate to national reconciliation issues and local dialogues, including from a gender perspective;
• Keep abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of national reconciliation and transitional justice and provide inputs on the topic to the SRSG, the Country Director, the Project Manager, senior officials and colleagues in UNSMIL, UNDP as well as in HQ.
Maintain relations with partners and stakeholders in the national reconciliation process, to ensure an inclusive and participatory approach to the project implementation.
• Monitor actions taken by national stakeholders, inter-governmental groups, UN organizations, government and non-governmental organizations and civil society in the area of transitional justice and national reconciliation in Libya;
• Maintain contacts with other sectors of the UN, including the Human Rights Division and Women Empowerment Section of UNSMIL, as well other international organizations, governments, UN agencies and NGOs on coordination and policy matters with regards to national reconciliation efforts in Libya, especially to guarantee a coherent approach to follow-up local dialogues and agreements implementation processes;
• Identify Libyan key stakeholders to include in the process, including experts and national or international CSOs, with a specific focus on gender, youth and minorities;
• Maintain contacts and working relations, consulting and exchanging information, with civil society organizations and local actors on all issues related to national reconciliation, including to document existing reconciliation processes at the local level, follow-up on past dialogues, draw lessons learned, and establish an active network with these various actors and initiatives.
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :
Corporate Planning / Consulting / Strategy / M&A
Desired Candidate Profile
• Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN s values and ethical standards;
• Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
• Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
• Knowledge of the Libyan context and the current transition would be an advantage;
• Extensive experience in presenting in public forums including high-level national stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
Master s degree in international relations, political science, political theory, human rights or related fields in social science.
Experience and other Skills:
• Minimum 7 years of field work experience in an international organization working on reconciliation processes and implementing transitional justice programs in conflict or post-conflict societies;
• At least 7 years of experience on transitional justice and national reconciliation processes;
• Demonstrated knowledge of the political, conceptual and legal framework of national reconciliation and transitional justice, especially in the MENA region;
• Experience in project implementation in relation to transitional justice and national reconciliation, preferably in the North African and Sahel region;
• A good understanding of the current political dynamics of reconciliation in MENA region, including main stakeholders and existing networks;
• Previous experience working on MENA region is an asset;
• Strong political and conflict analysis skills;
• Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
Documents to be included when submitting the proposal:
• Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications;
• Candidate CV including past experience in similar projects and at least 3 references;
• Personal History Form (P11);
• Motivation Letter describing their interest in the assignment and why they are the most suitable for the work;
• Submit a minimum one sample reports/paper on political analysis;
• Submit a minimum one sample reports/paper on implementing peacebuilding interventions;
• Detailed Terms of Reference, P11 Form and Financial Proposal Form can be found in the following link: http://procurement-notices.undp.org/view_notice.cfm?notice_id=46379;
• Please submit your Technical and Financial proposals to the following e-mail address no later than 22nd May 2018 to Email: tenders.ly@undporg .
• Applications without i) financial offer, ii) P11 form and iii) Documents mentioned under Technical Proposal will NOT be considered for evaluation;
• Financial proposal should be on provided format (i.e Annex 3- OFFEROR S LETTER TO UNDP);
• Incomplete proposals will not be considered