BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, the IRC aims to restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to survive.
Working in coordination with the humanitarian community, IRC currently addresses the needs of war-affected Syrians from several operational bases in the region. Our activities focus primarily on the supply of vital medications and medical equipment, non-food items, water and sanitation and child protection and form part of an over-arching humanitarian response in the region that seeks to assist refugees, IDPs and war-affected Syrians survive conflict and displacement.
Job Overview/Summary: The IT Assistant will be responsible for ensuring particular focus on IT support including assisting and facilitating the installation and configuration of IT and communications infrastructure, staff training and operations of IT activities in NW Syria offices and sub-offices in NW Syria. The IT Assistant will work closely with Senior ICT Manager and all program sectors to ensure proper IT functioning and support.
Installation & Configuration and management of:
• Servers, Windows server 2008, 2012 operating system, Domain and essential network services.
• Desktop/laptop hardware and software, and peripherals, using IRC standard windows 10 operating system image.
• Local Area Network, wireless network, peer-to-peer or client server architecture, as appropriate.
IT Support - Provide Level 1 and Level 2 Support
• Work with end-users or IT colleagues (or Service Desk) on assisting in resolving Level 1 issues in CP.
• Support in resolving or escalate Level 2 and Level 3 issues to appropriate internal resource (IT Officer, regional IT team) as necessary.
• Provide Microsoft Windows & Office applications support.
• Diagnose hardware and software faults by questioning clients patiently about a problem and explaining the procedures to them.
• Ensure data backups for individual users are being completed and provide the necessary training on the use of these back-up solutions.
• Work towards a successful resolution of the problems clients present.
• Perform preventative maintenance on all IRC computers and network resources in the field.
• Maintenance, Repair & Security:
• Perform preventative maintenance on all IRC computers and network resources.
• Update appropriate network security and data loss prevention procedures to safeguard system from physical harm, viruses, unauthorized users and damage to data.
• Create and maintain IRC computer software/hardware inventory ensuring accuracy.
• Create and maintain network documentation to include IP address, system access, email creation system, upgrades and changes to original network, etc.
• Managing/Monitoring firewall to ensure accessing internet is in line with IRC standards.
• Investigate local Internet connectivity options to obtain adequate bandwidth for Intranet and application connectivity.
• Closely collaborate with IT Manager, International IT and HQ IT team on helpdesk, connectivity and other in country and global IRC IT projects.
Training, Evaluation, & Testing:
• Deliver staff basic training about, email, password change /complexity
• Prepare and submit reports that provide sufficient detail to the IT Manager to understand the field office s computer environment and needs.
• Test and evaluate new technology as requested by Field Manager or IT Manager
• Conduct regular site visits to field offices in Idleb and provide required technical support.
Various Projects Position will need to assist on various IT projects as needed.
Key Working Relationships:
The requirements should establish a baseline (minimum) for educational background, previous work experience, professional knowledge or certification, specific skills and strengths and any other skill necessary to perform the essential functions of the job.
This post will require regular filed visits to the field sites.
Education: College or Institute degree in Computer Science or equivalent technical work experience.
Work Experience: At least two years of experience in IT profession
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Experience installing, configuring and managing both wired and wireless LAN, and firewalls.
• Computer imaging skills required.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
• Highly developed skills in troubleshooting and IT problems identification
• Strong written and interpersonal skills; customer service experience
• Able to work independently within a team environment
• Able to work and provide support remotely and in a complex, unpredictable and fluid operating environment
Language Skills: Arabic / English proficiency is required
Certificates or Licenses: CCNA & MCP knowledge is desired.