Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Department: Clinical Pathology Laboratory
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor, Lab Senior Tech.
Liaises with: Lab Phlebotomist, Reception, Medical Secretary and Housekeeper.
Responsible for: Lab testing
Summary of duties:
He/she is responsible for Performance of a variety of technical tasks and laboratory examination of specimens and body fluids in the recommended way.
Detailed Job Description:
1. Each individual performs only those tests that are authorized by the laboratory director and require a degree of skill commensurate with the individual's education, training or experience, and technical abilities.
2. They follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
3. Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
4. Follow the laboratory's established corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
5. Conduct chemical analyses of body fluids, such as blood and urine, using microscope or automatic analyzer to detect abnormalities or diseases, and enter findings into computer.
6. Set up, adjust, maintain and clean medical laboratory equipment.
7. Conduct blood tests for transfusion purposes and perform blood counts.
8. Obtain specimens, cultivating, isolating and identifying microorganisms for analysis.
9. Collect blood or tissue samples from patients, observing principles of asepsis to obtain blood sample.
10. Inoculate broths, or other bacteriological media with organisms.
11. Maintain sufficient inventory of material supplies and equipment for performance of duties.
12. Responsible for all quality and safety improvement related to his job.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by lab supervisor and director.
Education: Work requires a basic science background normally acquired through a health care institute (DMLT).
Certification: as a Lab technician by a nationally recognized board/agency and License as a technician by the Saudi Commission for Health Specialties (SCHS).
- Requires at least 2 years of experience in medical laboratory field.
- Duty hours are required to accommodate changing business needs.
Good command of the Arabic and English language.
This job description is subject to periodic review and may be changed at any time in consultation with the employee.