Careem is the leading technology platform for the greater Middle East. A pioneer of the region s ride-hailing economy, Careem is expanding services across its platform to include payments, delivery and mass transportation. Careem s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 130 cities across 16 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region .
About the role
As a Data Science Manager at Careem BUS, you'll be leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale.
Our Vision in Bus is that we aim to transform our congested region by providing an affordable, safe & reliable mass transit service that is 5 minutes away from every corner in your city; decreasing mobility limitations for individuals & businesses everyday.
This role is responsible for leading data for the domain, including some people management responsibility for data scientists and analysts, and shaping the data science strategy and roadmap for the domain.
You will be developing descriptive and predictive models as well as running extensive data analysis on million of customer transactions supported by a cutting edge data platform to unlock the big opportunities that simplify the lives of people through reliable transportation.
Ensures different stakeholders (product, engineering, commercial) are aligned behind the data vision and collectively contribute to it.
In process, you will:
• Translate complex business and product problems into Data Science solutions
• Design the workflow of the DS projects, from experimentation to implementation in production
• Communicate the impact and value of the DS projects and the way they work to your stakeholders
• Embark on exploratory data analysis projects to achieve a better understanding of phenomena as well as to discover untapped areas of growth and optimization
• Closely coordinate with the Big Data Platform Teams, and help design the different ETLs and data flows
• Coordinate with the Data Science Platforms team to bring complex Machine Learning algorithms in production
• Coach the team and provide technical guidance (in both software engineering and ML)
• Design experimentation and Analyze AB tests results with the right methods and tools
• Help bring AI at the Core of Careem
• Implement large scale machine learning algorithm
You will have:
• Minimum 4 years industry experience in applied data science, with significant work experience as a technical contributor.
• Must have experience working in a start-up environment
• Prior management / team-lead experience. You ll be leading several direct reports initially and will have the opportunity to create, scale and nourish a team of experienced professionals.
• Excellent educational background in a quantitative field, such as Operations Research, Economics/Econometrics, or Machine Learning; Graduate degree required and Masters degree preferred.
• Self-starter and collaborative leader. Everywhere you go, you can t help but mobilize people, build things, resolve problems, get into the details, go above and beyond, and draw out the best in people. You are a doer and motivator of others.
• Excellent execution and organization. This team will be working with engineers and product leads at the forefront of the development cycle. To excel in this role, you should be comfortable executing with little oversight and be able to adapt to problems quickly.
• Strategic mindset - you re comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
• Experience with common analysis tools - SQL, Python, R etc. Demonstrable familiarity with code and programming concepts
• Unlimited holidays
• Mentorship and career growth
• Flexible hours
• Diversity: we have 70 nationalities on board!