KAUST is undergoing an exciting expansion of their design and fabrication capabilities, with the introduction of a newly purpose built 400m2 Prototyping facility, serving as an extension to the Central Workshops Core lab services. This new facility is being established to promote greater innovation, creativity, and collaboration for the development of ideas, technologies and products.
KAUST is seeking to recruit an experienced Prototyping Lead to provide the expertise and leadership that ensures that this facility, and associated staff, deliver outstanding services and outputs to KAUST. The person will oversee this new facility, lead a team of engineers and technicians and will be instrumental in establishing prototyping as a new value add service at KAUST. The person is extremely passionate about translating ideas to workable prototypes and is fully abreast of the latest technologies and innovations in this field. He/she will bring extensive knowledge, experience and energy into leading end to end prototyping activities, facilitating transformational solutions, whist having a big picture perspective. Major Responsibilities
• Lead the ramp-up and operational stability of the new facility ensuring smooth integration and alignment with existing Core Labs Central workshops and Central administration.
• Identify and proactively plan for start-up issues that addresses safety, equipment, staffing, resourcing, access policies and others if needed.
• Establish operational plans and objectives for the facility, including advising the Central Workshops Manager on the initial start-up KPIs to closely track performance and issues.
• Instill a strong user engagement and outreach culture for the facility by driving for service excellence and technical leadership in this field.
• Establish and manage an appropriate level steering group to include students, researchers, and community that proactively solicits the user needs and feedback for the facility.
• Create suitable development and training plans that ensures the staff have the technical, operational, service and user engagement skills in delivering results to a diverse user base.
• Champion and manage outreach and user engagement events to include periodic user training, workshops, demonstrations, and showcasing of activities.
• Provide leadership and guidance to the staff in areas of technology, user support, resource allocation, user policies, safety, budgeting, capital planning, inventory management and maintenance.
• Oversee design and review processes for all user projects together with tracking activities and quality, including implementing changes and improvements where required.
• Manage effective staff performance and development together with driving synergies with Central Workshops staff to complement service offerings and cross training.
• Lead and motivate staff with clear goals and objectives in support of both the individual and in creating high performing teams.
Organization Research Division Core Labs