• Steers, plans, provides guidelines and instructions, required for validation of test methods in the assigned areas, as conceived by levels below.
Weekly work plan
Monthly SSG targets
Laboratory Quality Management
• Steers plans, and tasks required to performing technical evaluation of new equipment, assigned and prepared by levels below.
• Defines and supervises inter-laboratory round-robins and proficiency testing programs within his area of expertise and possibly other areas from APT and/or MAT
• Defines and supervises maintenance protocols, reference materials and tools required for verifications, calibrations and control checks within his/her area of expertise and possibly other areas from APT and/or MAT
• Defines and supervises corrective and Preventive Action & Maintenance pertinent to his/her area and possibly other areas form APT and/or MAT.
• Defines and supervises method calibration procedures in his assigned area and possibly other areas with APT and/or MAT; defines and supervises necessary actions as well as follow-up in case of equipment malfunction or deviations. Might act as contact with External Equipment Suppliers, in case of malfunction and deviations.
• Makes proposals for experimental approaches, test methodologies and equipment's. Evaluates feasibility of proposals, associated costs and prepares investment proposals as required. Seeks approval from higher levels.
% equipment downtime
• Complies with all safety and fire rules and regulations, including the use of protective clothing and equipment and ensures that all personnel working in his area comply with safety regulations.
• Ensures application of good housekeeping in the laboratory, maintaining all related files and records.
Number of incidents
• Performs theoretical training of Laboratory Staff and other Research and Business Groups, covering more than one area of expertise.
• He/she should act as a mentor to the levels below, coaching and identifying missing competencies, within APT and/or MAT. Appropriate guidance on the plans required to develop and/ or improve competencies should be given by this job holder.
• Assumes a role model for levels below across all organization, in areas of instrument and area custodianship, housekeeping and HSE compliant behaviour.
• Is deputy for higher levels and Lab Management (on at least 4 areas of expertise within APT and/or MAT)
• Identifies, proposes and reviews required IDP plans for lower levels (as agreed with levels above). Committed to updating his/her relevant professional and supervisory skills via IDP.
• Undertakes regular proactive contacts customers in project work and understands the current and future market requirements. Represents Company's as an expert in certain area.
• Submits, presents and reviews technical papers, involving multiscale characterisation, to various conferences, global/local research institutions/ universities and scientific societies to support the optimisation of technology transfer to Company. Can act as Chairperson on Conferences involving several fields of expertise.
• Provides technical direction to lower levels team members and guidance in several areas of expertise (from APT and/or MAT) to assist in resolving problems. Responsible for hand-on training and qualification of lower levels within more than one field of expertise.
• Is internationally recognized individual in more than one area of expertise (from APT and/or MAT).
• Has good understanding of business and market needs.
ISO 17025 requirements
• PHD in Polymer Science & Technology or equivalent.
• Excellent understanding of patenting process, claim writing, FTO evaluations and agreements. With some credit for publications, patents.
• Significant knowledge on competitor and other external Research Institutes capabilities in what regards characterization methods within at least 2 different areas of expertise within APT and/or MAT.
• Excellent general knowledge of polymer chemistry and physics. Very good knowledge of polymeric materials, application of plastics, processing technology, basic techniques of analytical chemistry, metrology and principles of laboratory quality.
• Excellent knowledge of the process from polymers to products (wire & cable)
• Excellent knowledge in polymer characterization used in wire & cable application.
• In depth knowledge of research methodologies. Significant understanding of business and market needs.
• Excellent understanding of Company's products and good understanding of competitor products.
• 15 years of relevant research and laboratory experience
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English, other languages desirable.
• Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and mature judgments in conducting research programs, developing new technologies, and developing standards and methods for others to follow.
• IT proficiency
• Relevant research experience on a broader range of fields, including polymerization technologies, manufacturing/material conversion processes, material characterization (analytics & other relevant mechanical and end properties).