Operates, manages and improves the Core Laboratories Safety Program at KAUST.
• Serves as the Safety Lead for the Core Laboratories covering a large number of diverse facilities.
• Further develops and successfully implements a new initiative on a comprehensive EHS program for the Core Laboratories based on the ISO45001 HS Management System standard.
• Conducts safety risk assessments, and supports the Core Labs staff in conducting their own safety risk assessments to anticipate, recognize, and control workplace hazards including biological and chemical hazards, laser radiation, and ionizing radiation in the Core Laboratories.
• Performs inspections in the laboratories to monitor compliance with safety regulations and to identify opportunities for further minimizing risks.
• Supports Core Labs management in overseeing the Core Labs Safety Committee to track and action all aspects of health and safety activities in the Core Laboratories.
• Liaises with KAUST HSE Department and other functional departments on all workplace health and safety issues.
• Liaises with support departments to ensure proper operation and maintenance of specialized hazard control systems such as exhaust ventilation systems, emission abatement systems as well as toxic gas detection and alarm systems.
• Liaises with the hazardous material specialists in the management of hazardous chemical, biological and radioactive waste.
• Assists the Core Laboratories directors and staff in the review and development lab safety plans, safety standard operating procedures and any other work related instruction/procedures that requires support from this role.
• Identifies and recommends safety training needs. When appropriate, assists Core Laboratories directors and staff in developing and conducting such trainings.
• Reports regularly on laboratory safety status and issues to the Core Laboratories Safety Committee and to the Executive Director of Core Labs and Major Facilities.
• Serves as a resource and as a member of an emergency response team for Core Laboratories.
• Keeps abreast of technology and latest developments in the fields of HSE through seminars and training.
• Performs other safety-related tasks as requested by the Executive Director.
• Broad range of knowledge in biosafety, chemical safety, laser safety and the control of ionizing radiation; as well as relevant standards, codes, and regulations.
• Experienced in the operation, calibration and maintenance of a variety of radiation monitoring and industrial hygiene survey instruments.
• Ability to develop and conduct, independently, effective evaluation and surveys for a wide range of hazards.
• Excellent verbal and written skills (English).
• Self-motivated, able to work independently with limited supervision.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and positive mindset.
• Able to work effectively in a culturally diverse work environment.
• Able to multitask and work productively in a fast paced environment and under emergency situations.
• Bachelor s degree in science or engineering, Master s degree preferred.
• Professional qualifications such as Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or equivalent.
• Ten years of professional experience preferably gained in a research environment.