The Student Accessibility Services Department seeks an incumbent for the position of Learning Difficulty Specialist to be responsible for the administration of the operations and activities of the Student Accessibility Services Department (SAS) ensuring it is in line with the stated goals, vision and mission of the department. Proactively promotes the awareness about the Student Accessibility Services Department (SAS) to encourage the acceptance of students with learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, etc.) amongst the teaching community of Zayed University. Provides educational support and social guidance for students with learning difficulties disabilities.
• Establishes and maintains professionally appropriate criteria and procedures for determining eligibility of Zayed University students for disability accommodations and services.
• Advises faculty and administrators of legal responsibilities and establishes procedures for compliance.
• Maintains a confidential and secure database of all students with disabilities and create reports for the management, when required.
• Serves on committees as deemed appropriate and represents the department at university functions and engage in special projects, as requested.
• Visits schools to promote the Office of Accessibility to encourage students with disabilities to join ZU.
• Manage a case load of students and oversee support services for students with learning disabilities to appropriate accommodations and compliance with UAE Disability Law
• Liaises with faculty members and other departments to ensure the delivery of curriculum to students with disabilities in an accessible format which is based on students specific learning styles.
• Provide training and orientation for instructors about the educational needs of students with learning difficulties (dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD ,etc.)
• Provide support for the teachers to meet curriculum objectives.
• Adapt classrooms printed material by producing alternative accessible formats for students with special needs.
• Provide academic evaluation for students with learning issues and decide on the proper accommodation.
• Provide students with learning issues with academic tutoring, advising, and training in course content, study skills, time-management, effective review, and test-taking methods, etc.
• Provide individual sessions to help students with their study approaches or to develop skills in a specific area.
• Providing regular progress reports regarding students, as appropriate, eligible, and requested.
• Assist in developing plans and initiatives and make recommendations to establish or amend policies, procedures, and practices that will facilitate services to students with learning disabilities;
• Review and interpret psycho?educational evaluations, Individualized Education Plans, and other diagnostic information to determine student eligibility for disability support services and reasonable accommodations;
• Coach students in applying proven academic strategies in their classes
• Resolve academic and classroom-related problems
• Follow up progress of students with learning difficulties throughout the academic year.
• Perform special research assignments and projects relating to people with disability in academia
• Oversees development of student initiatives that improve program completion outcomes for all students with disabilities
• Conduct workshops and other presentations on learning disabilities and other disability issues for the professional development of faculty and staff
• Must posses a Bachelor s degree in Special Education, Counseling, Psychology, Education with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in administering services for individuals with learning disabilities to include identifying and providing the necessary accommodation or related field, or an equivalent combination of both.
• Fluent in Arabic and English
• Relevant professional experience in administering services for individuals with disabilities to include identifying and implementing student accommodations is also required.
Other essential requirements:
• Demonstrated understanding of UAE Disabilities Law.
• Demonstrated understanding of developmental issues facing university students from a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds.
• Demonstrated knowledge of disability assessment, accommodations, services and assistive technologies.
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills; strong planning and facilitation skills.
The University s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries, housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.