The Taqarib/Libya Local Governance and Civil Society (LGCS) Activity will support the foundation of a more unified Libyan state by prioritizing local-level activities that foster stability and accountable governance while reinforcing positive linkages among the national government, subnational government administration, and citizens. LGCS works to increase the Libyan Government s ability to deliver essential services and promote stability. It seeks to help citizens engage in public dialogue, prioritize resources, and develop initiatives to hold government accountable. To achieve these goals, LGCS will center its activities around four objectives:
• Strengthen the capacity of targeted municipal institutions to deliver services and be more responsive to citizen needs
• Empower Libyan citizens, civil society organizations, private sector, and other stakeholders with the skills and capability to advocate for government institutions to deliver on their mandates.
• Encourage coherence of national and subnational government policy, systems, and coordination through pilots advancing targeted policy reform. Strengthen national and subnational decentralization policies, systems, and, and coordination
• Inform Programming through a robust learning and analysis agenda
The Communication Director s function is to design, coordinate, implement and evaluate strategic communications and outreach strategies that support Taqarib s and USAID s communications objectives. The Director will manage, review, and complete a wide range of tasks related to day-to-day communications and outreach. S/he will lead in external communication includinging with Libyan and international stakeholders, reporting to USAID, and will nurture successful internal communication practices within Taqarib and among it s Libyan stakeholders.
Responsibilities and Key Tasks:
• Lead the design and implementation of the Taqarib project s Communications Strategy, which will comprise all content, form, and channels that the project will use to represent its activities and achievements to both national and international audiences. At minimum, distribution channels cultivated under this strategy must include print, TV, radio, and social media.
• Requisition, acquire, and direct the activity of communications service providers as needed including corporate vendors and/or independent consultants with special emphasis on maintaining high capacity and broad geographic range for printing, events-management, translation/interpretation, graphic design, and video production services.
• Finalize project reports intended for USG s consumption, submitted on a weekly, quarterly, annual, and ad hoc basis.
• Manage a communications staff in support of the above.
• Provide strategic advice on communications products and outreach approaches/channels to Objective Leads, program stakeholders and beneficiaries.
• Collaborate with the Chief of Party and Human Resources Manager to drive communication process s within the Taqarib team that support team cohesion, mission-awareness, and policy compliance.
• Mentor and advise team members on individual communications tasks and activities to improve quality, consistency, and alignment.
• Provide quality assurance to ensure all messaging, materials, activities and other tasks done by the team are of a high-quality and comply with relevant branding and marking requirements and policies.
• Experience in managing a range of communications and outreach activities for international development agencies.
• Excellent analytical writing, editing, and copy-editing skills.
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent ability to organize work and projects effectively and efficiently, including leading multiple campaigns with multiple players at one time.
• Demonstrated ability to be diplomatic, tactful in dealing with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to work independently and efficiently with little oversight in a fast paced and highly complex environment.
• Prior experience managing a staff is preferred.
• Oral and written fluency in English required. Knowledge of Arabic is preferred.
• Familiarity with Libya and the MENA region preferred.