Principal duties and responsibilities: The role will encompass all of the following, but the balance of duties and responsibilities will be determined in discussion with the Tri-Lingual Schools Project Manager:
The Lead Teacher, working with other members of the team, will be responsible for the delivery of the following key priorities:
• To provide leadership and create enthusiasm for teaching among members of the Mandarin subject in all cycles, to develop teamwork and balance the strengths of individuals, allocating responsibilities as appropriate and ensuring, with the Principal, that each teacher is given an equal teaching load.
• To make arrangements for departmental consultation and communication, and to provide the Tri-Lingual Schools Project Manager with a copy of the notes of departmental meetings.
• To monitor the implementation of the Mandarin curriculum, setting department targets as necessary, working within the aims of the school and in line with the Ministry of Education s agenda.
• To monitor and implement strategies to address each student s area of weakness and build on their strengths.
Leading and Managing
• To be responsible for the induction of new staff in your school. All new teachers should be appropriately trained, monitored, supported and assessed.
• To be responsible for the day to day management of all members of the Mandarin team.
• To monitor and assess the work of your Mandarin staff through the staff development and performance management programme.
• To promote and monitor professional development within the department.
• To offer support and advice to members of the department and encourage their professional development.
• To regularly monitor the work of the Mandarin staff, ensuring that they are following the correct curriculum as set by the Ministry and adhering to policies, including marking, and schemes of work, and observing their teaching.
• To establish common standards of practice and to encourage the sharing of good practice within the department and develop the effectiveness of teaching and learning styles. This should be shared with the Tri-Lingual Schools Project Manager and the Principal, so that all subjects can benefit
Information and Data Management
• To produce examination analysis and a school review as requested by the Tri-Lingual Schools Project Manager
• To ensure that the members of the Mandarin team fulfil the school s requirements for reporting to parents
• To use data effectively to identify students who are underachieving in Mandarin and create plans of action with target setting. These should be regularly reviewed.
• To keep updated records of students performance and relevant analyses and statistics to show all students development.
Teaching and Learning
• To ensure that the Mandarin teachers are up to date with the implementation of school policies
• To promote a high standard of teaching within the Mandarin team, monitoring academic standards and ensuring that the students learning is effective and continuous, enabling them to achieve the best results of which they are capable. This will include appropriate differentiation of the curriculum to meet the needs of all students, and monitoring assessment, recording and reporting at all levels.
• To work collaboratively with the Arabic and English Lead Teachers and teachers, to develop a shared collaborative teaching model
• To make appropriate arrangements for classes when staff are absent, ensuring appropriate cover within the team, liaising with relevant staff to secure appropriate cover. This may include the Lead Teacher covering these classes if necessary.
• To promote teaching and learning styles which stimulate students interest and involvement in learning, by modelling and co-teaching where appropriate
• To run workshops, CPD sessions and training for the school and all cycles during Ministry wide training
Communication and Liaison
• Liaison between schools and Tri-Lingual Schools Project management.
• To disseminate relevant information to members of the Mandarin team
• To encourage appropriate links across the curriculum, between departments, especially Arabic and English, and with other schools, and to promote relevant activities outside school. This will include sector and country wide competitions related to the targets for the Mandarin department
• To play a part in the marketing of Mandarin and the school at appropriate occasions such as
• Parent Information Evening.
• Ensure all relevant Chinese celebrations are planned for and included in each trimester plan as appropriate.
• Elements of the tasks detailed above can be delegated as appropriate within the department.
Other tasks may be added to the above at the reasonable request of the Tri-Lingual Schools Project Manager.
The postholder may be required to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required within the nature of the duties and responsibilities of the post as defined.