Program / Department Summary
Working in Lebanon since 1993, Mercy Corps is committed to generating positive opportunities for women, men, boys and girls from Lebanese, Syrian, and Palestinian communities, with a strong focus on engaging youth.
Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping build secure, productive and just communities. We do this through: 1) Addressing the humanitarian and protection needs resulting from crisis situations for the most vulnerable communities, 2) Enabling local communities, civil society and government to better prevent and respond to conflict, address needs and deliver sustainable development solutions 3) Promoting economic growth and catalyzing economic opportunities for vulnerable, under-employed groups in Lebanon
The Mercy Corps Lebanon team consists of over 180 staff working across six offices throughout Mount Lebanon, South Lebanon, North Lebanon and the Bekaa Valley. Current funders of Mercy Corps in Lebanon include DFID, the Dutch government, RDPP, Global Affairs Canada, UNICEF, US Government and the Gates Foundation.
General Position Summary
The MERG Sector Manager is responsible for the strategic growth and technical oversight of Mercy Corps Lebanon s markets, economic recovery and growth (MERG) programs, as well as related program development. S/he will advise on the design, planning, and monitoring of programs, and support Program Managers in implementation to ensure interventions achieve intended results
Essential Job Responsibilities TECHNICAL GUIDANCE & PROGRAM IMPLEMENTATION
• In coordination with the Director of Programs, lead strategic portfolio growth planning and donor engagement in Lebanon.
• Facilitate MERG strategy development process, in close collaboration with MC Lebanon, and Global livelihoods team.
• Introduce the MERG strategy to relevant stakeholders including donors, peer agencies, business owners, staff of line ministries, local authorities and community members. Foster ongoing positive cooperation with these stakeholders.
• Support MERG Program Managers to ensure successful delivery of program activities including budget and operational management, technical guidance on implementation, design and implementation of program assessments,, work plans, and other core activities.
• With support from the Director of Programs, lead new MERG program start-up, including gap filling as program manager during recruitment processes as needed.
• Work closely with the Director of Programs on hiring within MERG programs to ensure that senior and/or key technical positions are adequately staffed.
• Ensure close coordination and sharing of information with relevant stakeholders such as partners, peer agencies and local authorities, as appropriate.
• Provide regular field supervision and support MERG Program Managers with program start-up and close-out activities.
• Analyze project implementation to identify constraints to program success and provide timely recommendations.
• Liaise with the regional program team in Amman and Technical Support Unit in Portland to ensure adherence with established best practices, and identify opportunities for strengthening programming.
• Lead the implementation of the Livelihoods Strategy, including donor engagement, partnership development and proposal writing and in collaboration with the Director of Programs.
• Provide oversight of relevant assessments and mapping exercises to collect data that informs program development, namely helps position Mercy Corps as a thought leader for external audiences.
• Recommend program priorities and explore, evaluate and present new opportunities that leverage impact and/ or complement core activities.
• Ensure new program development is harmonized with existing MERGE programs, as well as other sectors such as youth and protection, WASH, governance and conflict.
• Represent Mercy Corps in Lebanon, including at workshops and task forces, to foster information sharing with donors and other organizations, and to promote Mercy Corps' thought leadership.
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Markets, Economic Recovery and Growth program managers.
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs
Works Directly With: MERG Program teams, Program Performance and Quality Unit, Operations, Finance.
Knowledge and Experience
• MA/S or equivalent in social science, management, economics, international development, or other relevant field.
• At least eight years of progressive experience and proven high level of competence in working in economic development, ideally in relief and/or post-conflict settings.
• Experience managing a portfolio of programs.
• Specialized background in economic and market development including Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P).
• Deep experience in designing and implementing economic development programming in Lebanon, in particular its displacement context, economic challenges, social stability and resilience mechanisms relevant to internal conflict preferred; preference also given to candidates with background in the Middle East region.
• Proven track record in staff and stakeholder training, mentoring and capacity building.
• Strong communication skills and sense of humor.
• Proficiency in written English essential.
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :