The objectives of the assignment are to:
• Institutionalize Early Intervention (EI) services at MoSD so that EI becomes an integral part of the Ministry s structure, strategic plans, workplans, budgets, and M&E frameworks.
• Efficiently coordinate and collaborate with relevant stakeholders and counterparts in the areas of early detection, early intervention, and inclusive education.
• Ensure quality programme implementation through training, coaching, mentoring, and monitoring.
DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNMENT:
• Support MoSD to institutionalize early intervention services for children developmental disabilities through the followings:
• Preparing an inception report in light of the information that the consultant will review, analyze, and synthesize in relation to global standards, international best practices, and national experiences on early intervention.
• Undertaking a desk review of national policies, strategies, and plans pertaining to children with disabilities from birth-5. This shall inform the development of a road map for EDEI provision and would help in the identification of potential gaps, complementary, coordination, and/or overlap in these efforts.
• Undertaking a preliminary review and analysis of relevant legislations and regulations in Jordan pertaining to children with disabilities from birth-5. The consultant is encouraged to consult with relevant governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders. The analysis shall inform the establishment of formal EI system with all required structural components and could lead at a later stage to drafting a policy/legislative document related to EI provision.
• Leading a consultative process to review and revise the early intervention centers licensing by-law . The revised legal document shall regulate the provision of home-based and center-based EI service (including transition services for kindergartens and nurseries).
• Preparing SOPs for MoSD EI units .
• Developing an action plan to institutionalize EI at MoSD in consultation with relevant departments/ directorates at the MoSD, including the directorate of Institutional Performance Development, Nurseries Department...etc.; the Ministry of Education (MoE); the Ministry of Health (MoH); and the Higher Council for the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (HCD). This may require preparation of memorandums of understanding; identification of roles and responsibilities for each party; development of plans and budgets; proposing adjustments to relevant job descriptions and administrative structures, in order to operationalize the institutionalization plan and ensure allocation of required financial and human resources by the MoSD.
• Identifying systemic gaps and bottlenecks and suggesting to MoSD and UNICEF how to resolve these issues. Examples are: expansion of EI provision, mainstreaming EI best practices into nurseries and KGs, teacher training, quality assurance. Proposals for solutions may consist of concept notes, presentations or in a more advanced stage TORs for additional technical support required;
• Working with MoSD on drafting at least one project proposal document and detailed budget that can be used by MoSD for fund raising purposes in order to sustain EI provision.
• Working with MoSDs Directorates for PWDs affairs and for Institutional Performance Development on the development of a M&E framework (including assessment tools) with clear and viable KPIs for the institutionalization of EI. Provided that MoSD will endorse the plan.
• Working with MoSD to integrate EI in the Ministry's annual plan and budget in the current programs for 2020 and the strategic plan for 2021, and to develop the functional roles (job descriptions) for departments and staff and any other support that deemed to be necessary to institutionalize the programme.
• Tracking and documenting the progress of the EI programme at the Ministry up to the end of the consultancy assignment, identifying factors and elements that have contributed to the success of institutionalization of the program, gaps that continue to hinder the institutionalization of the EI programme, and proposing practical recommendations to help bridge those gaps.
• Preparing a final report outlining the outputs of the consultancy assignment, including recommendations on the sustainability of the early intervention programme.
• Strengthen the capacity of the MoSD to deliver and manage the implementation of the EI programme through the followings:
• Coordinating with MoSDs EI liaison officer to carry out field assessment visits , in order to identify locations for the establishment of new IE units.
• Building the capacity of staff in the newly established EI units through specialized trainings on contemporary EI practices.
• Strengthening the capacity of staff in existing EI units through periodic follow-up (office and field) in coordination with MoSDs EI liaison officer.
• Building the capacity of a training team at MoSD through a TOT on early intervention;
• Working with the EI units to document cases of children enrolled and served in the EI programme, including documenting a number of success stories, and selecting at least two children from each center to track, in order to document each child's progress during and after completing the early intervention programme. This could include networking with an accredited university or study institute for a longitudinal study.
• Support the MoSD in networking and coordinating efforts pertaining to EI provision through the followings:
• Promoting and coordinating with MoSDs EI liaison officer to form an EI reference group , comprising representatives of relevant authorities, including (but not limited to): HCD, NCFA, MoH, MoE, UNICEF, Humanity and Inclusion, DPOs, and UNRWA community rehabilitation centers. The consultant shall develop a TOR defining the role of the team members.
• Coordinating with MoSDs EI liaison officer to hold periodic meetings for the RG aimed at networking and participatory action.
• In coordination with relevant partners and institutions, promote and support a reliable and comprehensive implementation of EI, including advocacy with decision makers to support the EI Programme
Inception report approved by the Ministry of Social Development and UNICEF
Synthesis of findings and conclusions from the review of national policies, strategies, and plans pertaining to children with disabilities from birth-5.
Synthesis of findings and conclusions from the review of relevant legislations and regulations in Jordan pertaining to children with disabilities from birth-5. This could lead at a later stage to drafting a policy/legislative document related to EI provision.