Summary of position:Under the direction of the Head of Mission, the Chancery/Official Residence Coordinator is responsible for the general maintenance and upkeep of Canada’s hospitality platform at the Mission. The Chancery/Official Residence Coordinator is responsible for preparation of meals for the HOM family and for small receptions. The Coordinator is also responsible for ensuring the cleaning and maintenance of the Mission and/or OR including the inventory of assets. The position also contributes to the creation and maintenance of a high-quality hospitality platform in collaboration with the HOM, the HOM’s Assistant, Embassy staff, suppliers and vendors.
Essential qualifications:Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
• A minimum of technical diploma in Hotel/Hospitality Management or a secondary school diploma with 3 years of relevant experience and/or training.
• Fluent* in (speaking, reading, and writing) English.
*Fluency will be assessed by a variety of means including written assessment and interview.
• Minimum 3 years of recent** experience in culinary preparation in a hotel, restaurant, or similar establishment (excluding fast food).
• Minimum 1 year of recent** experience in personnel management and/or event management.
** Recent experience refers to the cumulative depth and breadth of experience associated with having performed a broad range of related activities within the last 5 years. Experience will be assessed on the basis of scope, quantity, complexity, and diversity of the work performed, and degree of autonomy.
Knowledge, Abilities and Competencies:
• Knowledge of inventory and financial management;
• Knowledge of office software (e.g. Microsoft Office Excel, Word) and the internet;
• Basic mathematic skills and budgeting;
• Knowledge of cooking techniques and terminology;
• Knowledge of different international cuisines and their key representative ingredients.
• Ability to plan, prepare and serve multi-course meals by following a recipe or cooking creatively;
• Ability to plan and maintain schedules (for cleaning and maintenance) and to supervise other workers;
• Ability to interact effectively and respectfully with people from diverse cultures;
• Attention to detail and a high standard of quality control;
• Effective and respectful teamwork and cooperation;
• Ability to work under pressure while effectively managing competing demands and priorities;
• Organizational abilities (ability to organize and coordinate events/functions);
• Flexibility, and adaptability;
• Discretion and respect for privacy;
Asset Qualifications:Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
• Experience working in a hospitality role in an embassy, diplomatic mission or official residence.
• Fluency or functional proficiency in Arabic (read, write, speak);
• Fluency or functional proficiency in French (read, write, speak).
Operational Requirements:• Ability to work overtime, on weekends or after normal working hours; (normal working hours are 40 hours per week)
• Ability to work on a flexible schedule;
• Occasional exposure to stressful work situations;
• Leave may occasionally be restricted due to operational requirements.