The Consultant Ophthalmology plans, directs, coordinates, administers and supervises patient care activities for Ophthalmology patients in accordance with Ministry of Health regulations, Hospital Medical Staff Bylaws, Rules & Regulations and Department Policy & Guidelines. Reports on matters relating to patient care to the Medical Director through the Clinical Director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides inpatient and outpatient consultations to Ophthalmology patients
• Receives referrals and consultations from other disciplines.
• Examines patient for symptoms indicative of organic or congenital ocular disorders, and determines nature and extent of injury or disorder
• Utilizes clinical privileges granted to him/her for admission, performing procedures and treatment of Ophthalmology patients
• Directs remedial activities to aid in regaining vision, or to utilize sight remaining by writing prescriptions for corrective glasses and instructing patient in eye exercises.
• Performs various tests to determine vision loss
• Reviews records, plans treatment options, prescribes and administers medications
• Books surgery rooms and notifies support staff of procedure timings to ensure that all required personnel are prepared for the procedure
• Shares the on-call schedule in the Department as required and ensures continuity of care for patients while on-call
• Manages record keeping, patient charts and all required surgical and Hospital records as needed
• Considers the patient s safety as the first priority while working.
• Includes the patients in discussions concerning appropriate diagnostic and management procedures.
• Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care needs.
• Maintains a work environment that promotes high standards for patient care and ethical behavior
• Participates regularly with other Ophthalmology and Surgery staff, in decision-making related to patient care
Compliance with Medical Ethics
• Ensures implementation of the standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field of Ophthalmology.
• Exhibits appropriate personal and interpersonal professional behavior; practices medicine ethically and stays consistent with the obligations of a physician.
• Respects the opinions of fellow Consultants and referring Physicians in the management of patient problems; provides means whereby differences in opinion can be discussed and resolved
• Recognizes limits of personal skills and knowledge by appropriately consulting other Physicians while caring for the patient.
• Shows a pattern of maintaining current personal clinical skills and knowledge by continuing medical education.
• Provides leadership for organizational performance improvement activities
• Supports in professional development of all staff and provides teaching materials
• Plans for the provision of orientation, in service and continuing education programs, along with other Consultants of the Department
• Attends regularly scheduled meeting for the improvement of patient care services and delivery
• Performs all other additional assignments as requested by the Clinical Director.