The job-holder is operationally accountable for managing and delivering one of the main parts of the pharmacy service and they will manage their resources in accordance with the Employer s policies on Human Resources and Financial Management.
• Operational Management
• Quality & Clinical Governance
• Business Planning and Service Development
• Financial Management
• Human Resource Management
• Ethical, Legal and Professional Responsibilities
Operational Management :
• Lead and develop the services in the assigned area in accordance with corporate and facility priorities in order to ensure the safe, clinically effective and cost efficient use of medicines.
• Ensure the pharmacy service remains responsive to the needs of patients.
• Assures the accurate and timely delivery of pharmacy services on their assigned area
• Oversees the preparation, compounding, dispensing, monitoring, and prescribing of medications to patients in accordance with the Employer's policies.
• Responsible for interpreting and implementing all corporate and departmental policies and procedures on the assigned area.
• Responsible for submitting required reports in assigned areas, in a timely fashion.
• Assign and supervise pharmacy professional staff in assigned areas.
• Responsible for follow-up Incident Reports
• Leads the process for conducting the pharmacy physical inventory including; preparation, planning, counting, verification, and reconciliation of results with the general ledger inventory account.
• Coordinates the development of the pharmacy department Annual Report.
• Complies, maintains, and interprets records and statistics for functional areas
• Assigned. Determines, coordinates, and schedules appropriate assignment of staff to meet workload
• Coordinates the development, acquisition, and maintenance of automated systems and information systems that improve efficiency and accuracy of pharmacy departments. Co-ordinate the monitoring of workload and use this data to report performance and to identify potential improvements.
Quality and Clinical Governance:
• Monitors drug distribution and dispensing patterns.
• Works with Clinical pharmacists to resolve any distribution patterns that do not meet the hospitals medication management initiatives.
• Takes a lead role in creating, developing and maintaining new operational policies/procedures, and cost saving initiatives.
• Attends and participates in multi-disciplinary rounds.
• Participates in department quality improvement efforts.
• Supervises the daily activities of subordinates to ensure optimum performance.
• Ensures completion of Annual Infection Control, Fire and Safety, and other regulatory requirements and maintains records.
• Participates in tracking medication errors as appropriate and develops and implements improved procedures to minimize and prevent medication errors.
• Design and develop key indicator reports (dashboard).
• Initiate the monitoring and reporting of adverse events that are identified by or involve the service.
• Investigate any formal complaints relating to the assigned service and formulate responses as necessary.
• Act as a referral point for all pharmacy staff in the resolution of highly complex or highly contentious issues in the provision of services.
Business Planning and Service Development:
• Deliver an annual Business Plan for assigned services.
• Involve the team in the Business Planning process and keep them up to date with the progress.
• Keep the Director of Pharmacy informed regarding expenditure related to assigned services highlighting overspends and savings
• Assist the Director in the creation of the departmental Business Plan.
Human Resource Management:
• Provide leadership, guidance and serve as a role model to those professionals under his/her supervision.
• Assists with and provides feedback to pharmacy managers for the annual performance appraisals of staff pharmacists and senior pharmacists.
• Takes the lead role with the training and development of new professional staff.
• Manage the Pharmacy staff who works within the assigned services.
• Ensure the effective implementation of the competency frameworks for all pharmacy staff working in the assigned service.
• Develop the team through the departmental appraisal, personal development and review process.
• Continually review skill mix to meet service needs and professional standards, reporting any deficits to the Director of Pharmacy with proposals for improvement.
• Ensure that all staff has training plans to develop their skills and expertise.
• Manage the staff in line with the Employer's procedures including those for dealing with disciplinary, grievance and sickness when necessary.
• Responsible for the recruitment of all staff within the assigned service and effectively support the recruitment of other senior staff members when appropriate.
Ethical, Legal and Professional Responsibilities:
• Knowledgeable of and complies with laws, rules, and regulations that govern the practice of Pharmacy in Qatar.
• Participates in continuing education programs, meetings, training programs, and related activities.
• Precepts pharmacy students consistent with academic credentials and practical experience.