Position at Al Jazeera Media Network
Job Purpose Summary:
The Broadcast Systems Principal Engineer ensures that ON AIR programs and services are delivered with the highest quality and availability by providing 2nd & 3rd Level support to all broadcast systems as required.
S/He is also responsible for the maintenance, upgrade, design improvement and optimization of existing broadcast systems, and ensures that new broadcast systems are delivered as per industry standards and best practices.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Performs L2/L3 deep technical support for ON AIR broadcast systems that have persisting service affecting problems, or design flaws.
• Participates in the coordination of vendors and service integrators in the design and delivery of new and repaired broadcast equipment and systems to maintain high service quality and availability as per industry standards and best practices.
• Participate in the design, construction, equipment selection and implementation of current and future broadcast facility, provide presentations, training assistance, procedures, and manuals and develops unit documentation and database.
• Installs, maintains, modifies and repairs broadcast equipment
• Provide Technical support for broadcast areas as a subject matter expert (SME) including:
• VSM Routing & Control system
• GrassValley Video Routers
• Riedel Talkback
• Station s Master Clock
• Glue and other equipment installed in Central Apparatus CAR Rooms
• Vizrt all system support including Viz Engines & Clients, Viz Mosart, Immersive System, Viz Weather, Viz Social, Viz One
• IHSE KVM system etc.
• Central TX full support including Pebble Beach Automation System, Harmonics & EVS video Servers, CTX Video Mixer, CTX output chain etc.
• Central MCR Broadcast related system Support
• All Studios and Gallery equipment support including Calrec Audio Mixer, Sony Vision Mixer, Video Walls, Studio Cameras, Vinten Robotic, System, Shnick Shnack & Martin LED System etc.
• Create ongoing repair, maintenance programs, and equipment replacement programs.
• Ensure that the station is ON AIR without interruption. Provide emergency restoration procedures for broadcast facilities & Execute emergency restoration support for ON AIR Broadcast facilities.
• Perform activities in accordance with maintenance programs, equipment replacement programs, broadcast projects, etc.
• Respond to broadcast system end user and stakeholder complaints and resolve them in a timely and efficient manner
• Review daily report for equipment failure observations and perform repairs and workarounds as deemed necessary to maintain
• Review daily report for equipment failure observations and perform repairs and workarounds as deemed necessary to maintain operations
• Minimize loss of service at times of equipment failure by rapidly identifying and implementing alternative methods of service provision.
• Processes Purchase Requisitions, and performing technical evaluation of bidder proposals in projects.
• Shares knowledge to stakeholders and end users on broadcast systems used in operations, and respond to any queries in a timely manner.
• Reviews technical reports from equipment faults, equipment inspections, and end user feedback and proposes course of action to fix faults or improve service quality as per industry standards and best practices.
• Provides, updates, and implements restoration procedures for broadcast systems to minimize loss of service during equipment failures in accordance to industry standards, best practices, and vendor guidelines/recommendations.
• Support in installation and testing of repaired and newly installed equipment
• Create procedures for the broadcast systems and document it.
• Perform other duties as assigned from time to time by his/her superiors/DLM
Minimum Required Academic Degree: Bachelor Degree
• 8 years of professional experience in Broadcast Engineering and relevant equipment's operation/maintenance
• 3 years Projects Experience related to Broadcast/Broadcast IT