, Posted on May 15, 2018
Program / Department Summary Mercy Corps has worked across Iraq s 18 governorates since 2003, implementing relief and development programming, more than a third of which has focused on the specific needs of refugees and displaced persons. Mercy Corps Iraq s goal is to work with civil society, public and private sector partners to meet immediate needs and reduce longer-term vulnerabilities of communities within Iraq. Mercy Corps Iraq focuses on (1) providing humanitarian assistance to conflict affected populations to meet basic needs, maintain human dignity and facilitate self-empowerment; (2) supporting income-generating opportunities that transition individuals and households from financial dependency towards financial independence while facilitating market-system approaches; (3) working with young females and young males to address their diverse needs, promoting leadership and linkages with civil society, as well as access to education, psychosocial support, and economic opportunities; and (4) promoting reconciliation and foster trust across community divisions by strengthening conflict management and prevention mechanisms and enhancing social cohesion. General Position Summary Program Manager Conflict Management will ensure effective coordination and implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance of Mercy Corps Iraq s conflict management sector portfolio. S/he will be responsible for the overall achievement of the program objectives, and the day-to-day administration and implementation of the projects within the conflict management portfolio. This will include strengthening the capacity of local partners in the areas of reconciliation and conflict management, training and curriculum development, reviewing the design and implementation of reconciliation projects, facilitating clear communication between diverse groups, and ensuring rigorous measurement of program impact and timely reporting. The Program Manager Conflict Management ensures leveraging and alignment with other conflict mitigation and social cohesion programs in the region and works with Mercy Corps regional and global technical support teams. S/he is responsible for leading program design and development; technical support to interventions; representation and partnership development; and training, mentoring and organizational learning for social stability-oriented program staff nationally. Essential Job Responsibilities Strategy & Vision
• Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
• Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
• Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
• Develop strategies for conflict mitigation and social cohesion programs in Iraq, integrating global and regional best practices and building off the existing portfolio of programs in country.
• Coordinate across sectors to ensure an integrated approach to portfolio development leveraging existing expertise and partnerships.
• Lead in designing, managing and implementing research initiatives into conflict.
• Contribute to agency s research agenda, working with key technical staff and program staff to integrate and advance research and learning.
• Assist in prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve these objectives and contribute to country- and region-wide strategy development.
• Oversee program startup and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
• Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
• Manage and oversee all conflict management portfolio program activities in cooperation with key project stakeholders, including local non-governmental organizations, local government officials, community-based organizations, other international agencies on the ground, and key donors
• Collaborate with program, finance and administrative staff to ensure systems are in compliance with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
• Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
• Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
• Increase staff capacity by designing and leading technical training sessions on conflict. management, reconciliation, peace building and dialogues for Mercy Corps staff and local partners and providing ongoing coaching and mentoring.
• Promote learning and knowledge management through documentation and knowledge sharing around best practices and lessons learned.
• Represent Mercy Corps Iraq conflict management programming externally with donors and peer agencies.
• Participate and present at conferences, working groups or other forums as prioritized by team.
• Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
• Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
• Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
• Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
Finance & Compliance Management
• Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
• Ensure programs are delivered on budget.
• Track budgets versus actuals and on-going forecasting.
• Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation
• Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
• Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Industry Type :
NGO / Social Services / Community Services / Non-Profit
Functional Area :
Desired Candidate Profile
• Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country
• Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
• As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
• Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs
Works Directly With: Other sector Project Managers/Directors, Senior M&E staff, Communications Advisor, Finance, Administration and Operations teams, Regional and HQ technical support units
al laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor degree or equivalent in international development, conflict mitigation, social sciences, international relations or other relevant field. Masters preferred
• 5 - 7 years relevant professional experience with programming in conflict management, social stability or peacebuilding preferably in insecure or transitional environments and with refugee populations.
• Previous experience of working in insecure environments.
• Previous demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining work relationships with local government authorities.
• Previous experience working with local partners.
• Experience in interest-based negotiation, consensus building, and understanding of grievances and the drivers of conflict.
• Experience with programs that aim to prevent violent extremism preferred.
• Experience in conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm.
• S/he is aware of the sensitivities of working in the Middle East and will help ensure that the programs respect international agreements.
• Experience in implementing quantitative and qualitative research initiatives, including Theory of Change testing and impact evaluations.
• Experience and proven flexibility in advising program teams in adjusting activities based on changing political circumstances and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program stakeholders.
• Strong writing, research, training and M&E skills for social-stability related programming are required.
• Experience leading and writing proposals is required.
• Experience managing staff.
• Arabic language skills strongly preferred.
• Must be able to work independently while being a strong team player.
Success Factors The successful candidate will have the ability to multi-task, set priorities, and work under tight deadlines within a complex team. S/he will demonstrate strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills and be committed to the values and mission of Mercy Corps. S/he will take initiative and contribute to team efforts, as well as demonstrate an ability to communicate, assume leadership, and make solid decisions while working remotely from country leadership. S/he has deep commitment to humanitarian principles and values and is striving to learn new skills and methodologies. Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
This position will be based in either Erbil or Baghdad, Iraq and is unaccompanied. Travel within Iraq is required to support Mercy Corps Iraq s offices and programs. This position is unaccompanied and the location is eligible for hardship allowance and R&R benefits. Living conditions are in group housing: water, electricity and internet are present with some cuts.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect loc
Disclaimer: Naukrigulf.com is only a platform to bring jobseekers & employers together. Applicants are advised to research the bonafides of the prospective employer independently. We do NOT endorse any requests for money payments and strictly advice against sharing personal or bank related information.We also recommend you visit Security Advice for more information. If you suspect any fraud or malpractice, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
People also searched for
Additional Information Required
Employer has requested some additional information along with your application for this job