Summary of responsibilities:
This post holder shall be responsible to work in close collaboration with other members of the team to conduct needs assessment; spearheads development of concept papers and full donor proposals. Overall responsibilities with main focus on project design and implementation of project life cycle steps and coordination mechanisms, including kick-off meetings at country and headquarters levels, regular project reviews, financial pipeline inputs and close-out meetings for donors such OFDA, UNFPA ,SSHF . Responsible for general implementation of all projects including achievement of activity targets; coordination with various departments, partners and donors (as required); development and implementation of a project-related M&E system as well as preparation of project reports.
Identification, Development and Acquisition of Projects
• Identify projects, project ideas and concepts (via data gathering, assessments, coordination);
• In collaboration with other members of the team, develop projects and/or elaboration of projects in cooperation with partner organizations;
• Lead in formulating project design and develop project proposals in liaison with program team;
• Identify potential donors for project funding.
Effective Implementation of the Project Portfolio
• Ensure donor contract requirements/compliance;
• Prepare TOR and monitor evaluations of projects;
• Cooperate with HR Department in the identification and selection of new staff, technical assistance and consultants;
• Ensure successful and qualitative project implementation;
• Actively participate in the compilation of narrative reports to be submitted to donors as required;
• Undertake travel to existing and potential Emergency Program partners and projects (monitoring trips);
• Overall implementation of a project , including achievement of activity targets; coordination with departments, partners and donors (as required); development and implementation of a project-related M&E system; and, preparation of project reports.
• Correct use of programmatic resources, including management of project budget line items such as project input (supplies and activities), equipment, and direct project hires.Understanding of project award agreements and donor standards, compliance requirements and regulations (including those related to procurement).
• Design and implementation of project life cycle steps and coordination mechanisms, including kick-off meetings at country and headquarters levels, regular project reviews, financial pipeline inputs and close-out meetings.
• Development and maintenance of key project management tools, including procurement plans, financial pipelines, activity work-plans and indicator trackers.
• Timely initiation of project implementation actions , including staff recruitment and submission of procurement requests.
Contribution towards the Development and Implementation of the International Medical Corps Mission and Strategy
• Participate in working groups, seminars, meetings, etc. with relevance for the program as agreed upon with the Program Director
• Coordinate with other departments within International Medical Corps (Communications, Finance, HR, Admin, & Security) concerning the (Emergency) Project portfolio;
• Ensure information flow within the International Medical Corps system and participate in internal meetings and working groups.
• Supervise program staff to ensure that work is done properly and efficiently.
• Routinely monitor program staff performance according to their job description and set objectives.
• Evaluation and appraisal of national health staff through the IMC Performance Management.
• Provide technical oversight and training to staff, with an emphasis on national staff capacity building.
• Develop ongoing education programs for health staff as well as identifying their training needs and setting up a development plan to address the needs.
Coordination and Representation
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders - including community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, community based organisations and other IMC sectors to enhance cooperation and coordination;
• Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared internally and with other sectors, as appropriate.
• Represent the IMC in coordination mechanisms and meetings with other agencies, including the Ministry of Health, WHO and other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, or donors.
• Advocate with and/or advise peer agencies, local government, and other stakeholders to influence responses to promote delivery of inclusive and high quality reproductive health response services.
• Participate in program planning, development, strategy, needs assessment, meetings, etc
• Ensure staff training and capacity building as necessary to meet the needs of implementing programs
• Logistics management (with technical support from roving field logistics officer ensure that IMC logistics procedures were implemented and respected
• Finance/HR/Admin management: with technical support from team ensures that IMC finance and HR procedures were implemented and respected
• Submit monthly pipeline projections and forecasts based on activity needs
• Coordinate site budgets with Finance/Admin Department to ensure adequate for support for program operations
• Security management: with technical support from security coordinator based in Juba ensure that security procedures are implemented
• Ensure external liaison with main actors but also develop an information diversified network
Compliance & Ethics:
Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards. Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse :
Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
Desired Candidate Profile
• Advanced degree (M.A., MPH) in public health, development, or other relevant fields
• Must have at least 5 years professional experience in implementing health related projects and working with INGOs in humanitarian or development contexts; previous emergency response, conflict/post-conflict experience preferred
• Relevant program management experience in development or emergency contexts or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Understanding of primary and higher-level health system management processes
• Knowledge of health system strengthening models in development contexts
• Extensive experience in budget preparation and financial management
• Fluency in English language a must, Arabic language a plus
• Must have excellent organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks in a dynamic environment
• Must be familiar with surgical supplies, trauma kits, basic hospital equipment and pharmaceuticals
• Must be able to analyze and interpret data and to track performance against program indicators
• Must be skilled in Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, and other computer programs
• Must be able to travel to field sites
• Capacity to organize formal trainings and other capacity building activities for program staff
• Flexibility to work extended hours, under pressure, meet strict deadlines, work with limited resources, work under dynamic security environments, regularly deploy to field sites, and stay in basic accommodations
• Possess strong leadership and team building qualities and strong written and verbal communication skills
• Must have the ability to work effectively with various personalities and ability to work in a multicultural environment
OTHER COMMENTS: working environment in South Sudan had always been precarious. Situation has further aggravated by the June 2016 conflict. IMC being a first-responder of emergency and committed to work in remote locations, incumbents are expected to be able to cope with stressful situations, sudden developments and above all capable of exuding confidence as well as positive spirit