Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has worked in Jordan since 2003 to implement a variety of programs funded by global public institutions, as well as private donors. Mercy Corps current portfolio in Jordan focuses on three pillars: Humanitarian Response and Protection, Economic Development and Natural Resource Management, Governance and Community Strengthening.
Within these broad objectives, Mercy Corps implements a range of projects and activities while pursuing the highest standards of program quality and integrity, and remains dedicated to the expansion of its programming wherever there are communities or individuals in need.
General Position Summary
The Program Performance and Quality (PaQ) Director oversees the PaQ Unit in Mercy Corps Jordan, whose role is to ensure the development of efficient and effective program management processes, serving as a nexus between various programs and teams. This includes: positioning for new business opportunities and leading proposals, creating organization-wide systems that standardize and support Mercy Corps Jordan s work, leading on gender mainstreaming and application of best practices across the program portfolio, offering additional capacity for program assessments, monitoring and evaluation, research and learning, and overseeing the Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) and safeguarding initiatives. The PaQ Director is responsible for facilitating a continuous cycle of data collection, reflection and improvement via routine lessons learned, and showcasing the impact of Mercy Corps Jordan s work with key stakeholders, including donors, beneficiaries, policymakers and influencers.
Essential Job Responsibilities STRATEGY and PLANNING
• In coordination with CD and DoP, (re)strategize the PaQ Unit to pursue more business development initiatives.
• With DoP, map out roles and responsibilities of PaQ Unit vs. Pillar Directors. Work with Pillar Directors and Project Managers to ensure program implementation is in line with PaQ standards.
• Position Mercy Corps for new business opportunities through strategic research and assessment initiatives.
• Ensure program teams are utilizing the filing system in accordance with Mercy Corps Minimum Standards and donor audit requirements and that the filing system is functional.
• Support program teams in ensuring that Mercy Corps Jordan programs comply with PM@MC (including Gender) Minimum Standards.
• Contribute to the global and regional conversation around program performance and quality, PaQ unit strategies and functions, as well as global program quality initiatives such as PM@MC, gender minimum standards, adaptive management, data protection, TOLA etc.
• Support program teams as they carry out program start-up, 90-day inception check-ins, quality audits, lessons learned and end of program transitions.
• Ensure that the PaQ team builds gender expertise across the program portfolio with a particular focus on resilience, economic empowerment, and adolescent girl approaches.
• Provide leadership on gender equality and social inclusion integrated program design.
• Support the country team in developing and executing gender equality and social inclusion strategies and priorities, including gender and social inclusion audits, analyses, action-planning, and gender minimum standards support.
• Coach and mentor program teams to reframe gender discussions to ensure inclusiveness and gender equity interventions are designed/integrated thoughtful, strategic and realistic ways.
MONITORING, EVALUATION AND LEARNING
• Ensure PaQ team provides strong Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) support to program teams.
• Support evidence-based learning culture through consistent analysis of lessons learned and best practices to encourage adaptive management.
• Ensure MEL initiatives are integrated with Technology for Development best practices.
PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT, REPORTING, AND COMMUNICATION
• Support the Country Team in the design of cost-effective, innovative and high quality programs, ensuring relevance to stakeholders and agency strategy
• Coordinate proposal development processes, following agency best practices and donor compliance.
• Oversee maintenance of appropriate trackers, such as reporting tracker, and grants tracker (that details current and future/pipeline programming) etc.
• Serve as a lead writer on proposals.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
• Ensure that an appropriate Community Accountability Reporting Mechanism (CARM) is rolled out and in place for priority Mercy Corps Jordan programs.
• Lead the PaQ unit in supporting the development and integration of gender, protection (beneficiaries and data) and child safeguarding concepts and protocols.
• As part of MC s commitment to organizational learning and in support of MC understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, MC expects all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
MEL Advisor, CARM Coordinator, Safeguarding Advisor (planned hire), Gender Advisor
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs
Works Directly With: Program Directors, Project Managers, Technical Support Unit (TSU) members, the Senior Government Liaison and Policy Advisor and the Communications Advisor
Knowledge and Experience
• Bachelor s degree required. Masters or equivalent in a field related to Humanitarian or International Development or relevant fields is preferred.
• 7+ years of experience providing coordination or management support to program implementation
• Experience working in the Middle East region.
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders, and to play a leadership role in convening groups. Astute skills in relationship building and coordination.
• Extensive experience with business development, monitoring and evaluation, information management, and other learning efforts.