Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has worked across Iraq s 18 governorates since 2003, implementing relief and development programming, more than a third of which has focused on the specific needs of internally displaced persons. Mercy Corps Iraq s goal is to work with new and existing civil society, public and private sector partners to meet immediate and long-term needs by strengthening communities ability to rebuild amidst increasing crisis. Mercy Corps Iraq focuses on (1) a relief-to-resilience pathway to meet the needs of conflict-affected communities leveraging agency expertise in conflict management and civil society development (2) a humanitarian response that empowers conflict-affected populations to meet their own needs (3) partnering with conflict-affected adolescents to address their diverse needs, promoting leadership and linkages with civil society.
General Position Summary
The Program Performance and Quality (PaQ) Director oversees the PaQ unit, whose role is to ensure the development of efficient and effective program management processes, serving as a nexus between various programs and teams. This includes: the development of effective monitoring, learning and evaluation processes; community accountability reporting mechanism (CARM) development and rollout, and supporting the creation and/or strengthening of mechanisms and techniques for ensuring program quality and impact.
The PaQ Director plays a key role in helping build an environment of evidence-based programming and adaptive management at all levels, while at the same time ensuring capacity building for program staff on program management techniques, and providing support to create a culture of training, coaching and integrating effective tools and techniques to improve program quality. The PaQ Director must be highly motivated, self-driven and able to support Mercy Corps Iraq s portfolio of livelihood, WASH, cash, education and PSS programming with limited daily support and direction.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Support to overall strategic and annual planning for MC Iraq with evidence-based contributions.
• Provide oversight of the Performance and Quality (PAQ) team s strategy with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
• Provide supervision to the PAQ team members, ensure their work is aligned and contributing effectively to the strategy and that they have access to MC resources
• Support the development of sector strategies and lead in developing corresponding MEL frameworks in accordance to the overall country strategy and with relevant team members
• Lead the development of processes to support programs team in integrating cross-program learning and ensure that lessons learned are used to inform adaptation of activities and future program design
• Provide support to program teams at key moments including program start-up, kick-off meetings, inception meeting check-ins, quality audits and spot checks, and end of program transition meetings
• Contribute to the global and regional conversation around program performance and quality, PaQ strategies, and global program quality initiatives; PM@MC, gender minimum standards, adaptive management, TOLA etc.
• Work with MEL staff to ensure MEL strategy exists and is implemented
• Ensure programs use the necessary MEL systems and tools, to inform and improve each individual program, as well as feed into the broader country-level MEL system and country strategy
• Ensure the development and/or consolidation of MEL systems and tools across the Iraq program to leverage existing resources and provide comparable data.
• Support field teams with program deliverables such as baseline studies or mid-term and final evaluations, gender assessment, market assessments, etc.
• Oversee the maintenance (or creation) of appropriate country-level trackers, such as beneficiaries trackers, and explore the use of online tools as needed
• Support the creation of an evidence-based learning culture through consistent analysis of lessons learned and best practices to encourage adaptive management.
• Conduct internal DQAs to ensure data is collected with attention to accuracy and consistency
• Lead in the development and country-wide rollout of an appropriate beneficiary accountability mechanisms
• Support MEL Managers and program teams in implementing the CARM system.
• Support programs team in integrating Do No Harm approach throughout project life cycle
• Serve as a focal point for any temporary or short-term Technical Advisors and Consultants
PROPOSAL DEVELOPMENT, REPORTING, AND COMMUNICATION
• Support the design of cost-effective, innovative and high quality programs, ensuring relevance to stakeholders and agency strategy
• Ensure the PaQ team effectively contributes to proposal development processes, following agency best practices and donor compliance, in coordination with MC Iraq technical, finance and operational staff, as well as HQ and regional teams.
• Support proposal development processes including development of MEL plans.
• Along with MEL Managers, consolidate program data for reporting for all MC Iraq programs.
• Support Grants Manager in taking responsibility for compilation and timely submission of all donor and internal reports.
• Ensure the PaQ unit carries out effective reviews of program reports, makes sure these are consistent with data from MC Iraq information management systems, and include well documented success stories and infographics to highlight program impact, and include information on lessons learned to inform on required adaptation of activities and future program design.
• Ensure the PaQ unit provides adequate support to program teams on communications and visibility and assist in the development of program communication plans.
• Contribute to the dissemination of written products.
• Lead the roll-out of gender integration as a priority area for MC Iraq programs.
• Ensure all MC Iraq programs comply with MC s Gender Minimum Standards.
• Provide training and other resources to raise awareness of gender across MC Iraq country office.
• Create a culture of gender-sensitive, and where appropriate, gender-transformative programming.