We seek qualified candidates for the position of Project Director based in Tunis, Tunisia. FHI 360 is implementing a US government-funded economic development project in Tunisia. The project is in partnership with the Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Commerce, and the National Office of Handicrafts (ONAT). The goal of this project is to foster a more competitive handicraft value chain in Tunisia, leading to long-term sustainable economic growth, increased exports, and increased employment. The primary focus will be on upgrading two handicraft regional clusters with high export potential: beginning with essential oils and continuing with related artisanal products in NW Tunisia, and olive wood products produced by artisans in Sidi Bouzid, linked with exporting SMEs in coastal cities.
The Project Director will provide overall management, coordination, oversight and ensure that activities are coordinated and achieve intended results. This individual will be the key liaison with the US Embassy/Department of State as the funder, relevant Government of Tunisia counterparts, key project stakeholders, and other implementing partners. Her/his primary responsibilities will be aimed at providing overall leadership management of the project team including oversight of project deliverables, reporting requirements to the client and supporting general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the contract. The PD will rely on the two Senior Technical Advisors on the project to ensure technical alignment of project goals, for technical design, implementation and coordination.
The PD will provide oversight and ensure timely performance of key project milestones, including required programmatic and financial reporting, monitoring and evaluation reporting, and coordinating marketing and communication. The PD will be expected to identify issues and risks related to program implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate program adjustments. S/he will supervise activity implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements. The PD position requires institutional awareness and networking skills, as s/he will interact with numerous institutions and senior national and regional-level government officials, as well as international organizations both public and private. The PD will have demonstrated ability to work in complex environments and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
The PD plans, monitors, directs, and organizes project personnel, activities, schedules and budgets. He/She is accountable for ensuring adherence to fundamental project management principles throughout the entirety of the project life-cycle. Central to the role is the identification, selection, development, and performance management of project personnel, as well as, the strict compliance to budgetary planning, monitoring, and reporting processes and regulations.
The PD will be responsible for ensuring compliance with FHI 360 policies and procedures, in consultation with the Country Representative and WAMERO regional platform, as well as, technical excellence in consultation with FHI 360 technical experts from G3E.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
• Senior technical expertise in one or more relevant fields such as value chain development, business strategy and marketing, and public-sector reform and capacity building.
• Strong group facilitation and public speaking skills.
• Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts and practices with project management, process development and execution.
• Excellent and demonstrated people management and performance management/development skills
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to plan, organize, and manage resources for successful completion of activities.
• Ability to motivate, influence, and collaborate with others.
• Knowledge of USG rules and regulations is preferred;
• Ability to build positive local working relationships with local communities, district government officials, State Department and other donor representatives.
• Plans, directs, and coordinates activities for the ACEA project to ensure that goals and objectives are accomplished within prescribed time frame and funding parameters.
• Reviews project proposal and plans to determine scheduling, budget, procedures, staffing, and allotment of resources needed for the project.
• Establishes work plans, project teams, and standard operating procedures (SOPs) to meet project goals and ensure compliance with policies.
• Develops proposals and researches sources for funding projects.
• Manages the performance and provides development opportunities to managers and staff to achieve project goals.
• Provides guidance and training to managers and staff to achieve project goals.
• Participates in the strategic development of methods and techniques with executive management.
• Establishes, serves and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders on project matters.
• Provide leadership to the project team, ensuring clarity over plans and priorities, encouraging effective team-work.
• Responsible for induction of project staff, ensuring their familiarity with mandate values, quality standards, policies and program objectives and their individual responsibilities in upholding these standards and policies.
• Supports performance management and professional development of direct reports, including ongoing feedback, coaching, and career support.
• Reports to the Country Representative in Tunisia.
• Requires a master s degree in a directly relevant field from an accredited university, or equivalent professional experience;
• At least 7 years of experience in senior management, supervisory, or technical experience working with programs that are of a similar scope and scale;
• Successful experience in managing implementation of international development programs (technical, operational and financial functions), especially US Government-funded programs.
• Demonstrated successful track record of managing technical and operational teams.
• Demonstrated strategic planning, talent management, staff development and capacity building experience.
• Demonstrated good judgment and experience in adaptive management;
• Demonstrated ability to ensure project and program compliance and reporting (rules, regulations, policies, and procedures etc.);