The REACH GIS Officer will be responsible for:
Assisting/leading on the technical development of web-based data dashboards and GIS applications.
Assisting the GIS team in the preparation, conception and production of static maps.
Assisting the GIS team in remote sensing work
Supporting the development of robust information management mechanisms in country
A. Assisting/leading on the technical development of web-based data dashboards and GIS applications
• The design, development, implementation, maintenance, and support of GIS tools, data dashboards, and web GIS applications, as well as some spatial data analysis.
• Develop, recommend, and implement visual designs for web applications / develop user-friendly designs and experiences based on needs and feedback.
• Research and implement new concepts, strategies, or innovative approaches that have significant impact on user experience.
B. Assisting the GIS team in the preparation, conception and production of static maps.
• Identify map information needs
• Identify and access map information sources
• Ensure accurate linkages between spatial databases and assessment data
• Ensures that the produced maps meet the requirements of REACH and concerned partners
C. Supporting the development of robust information management mechanisms in country
• Provide technical backstopping to the country team throughout a projects lifecycle.
• Provides training and problem-solving support of GIS applications.
• Assists on major projects involving the GIS and assessment teams.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Good academic qualifications, preferably a Master degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Geoinformatics, Web Development, Information Technology, etc.).
• 1 3 years of professional experience developing web GIS applications, data dashboards, and web maps.
• Experience with the latest web standards, including HTML5 and CSS3.
• Experience with front end technologies and/or front end frameworks.
• Knowledge of web libraries and frameworks such as jQuery, D3, Leaflet, OpenLayers.
• Experience with ArcGIS, ArcGIS Online, MapBox, or Carto is desirable.
• A good eye for design and attuned to the fundamentals of user experience.
• Good attention to detail, and commitment to producing high quality work.
• Openness to feedback and willingness to learn.
• Ability to manage time effectively and thrive in a fast paced, results oriented working environment.
• Ability to work independently with initiative, and strong capacity to work in intercultural team.
• Salary defined by the IMPACT salary grid; educational level, expertise, hardship, security, and performance are considered for pay bonus
• Additional monthly living allowance provided in country by IMPACT s partner ACTED
• Food and lodging provided at the organisation s guesthouse/or housing allowance (depending on contract length and country of assignment)
• Transportation costs covered, including additional return ticket + luggage allowance
• Provision of medical, life, and repatriation insurance + retirement package