Description SCOPE OF SERVICE:Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) provides 24 hour intensive nursing care for patients aged neonate through adolescence with capacity of 6 bed( future plan to open 10 beds)
The primary conditions and diagnoses treated are:
Congenital heart disease, pre and 48 hr s post operative cardiac surgery
Hematology/Oncology, Immuno-compromized patients
Pediatrics General Surgery, Neurosurgery
Vascular Surgery, ENT, Endocrinology
Critically ill pediatric medical patients requiring intensive care
The PICU utilizes numerous nursing diagnostic and therapeutic modalities to facilitate patient care, including the following:
Use of nursing process, assessment, planning, interventions, and evaluation
Cardiac and neurologic monitoring
Patient and family education
Continuous renal replacement therapy (Fresenius)
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Leads and demonstrates the provision of safe, patient and family focused quality care. Responsible for 24- hour management of assigned nursing unit. Assesses plans, directs, implements and evaluates patient care to comply with established standards in accordance with the American Nurses Association, Nursing Administration Scope & Standards of practice and performance and JCIA. Communicates effectively both inter and interdepartmentally. Strives for excellence on unit and promotes excellent team working and interdisciplinary relationships. Leads and demonstrates the successful achievement of the Nursing Affairs strategic goals.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Ensures that nursing and support team work flexibly and supportively together and that the objectives for the assigned area are delivered.
2. Serves as leadership model for staff.
3. Promotes interdisciplinary collaboration with outcomes aimed at the best interest of patients. Leads and demonstrates achievement in decreasing the length of stay/waiting time.
4. Plans and ensures implementation and evaluation of patient education programs.
5. Evaluates patient acuity and develops and reviews criteria for work assignment and delivery care model. Ensures that there is planned, effective, day-to-day skill mix and staff management. Determines and reviews staffing plans and develops a scheduling system for unit and reviews regularly as staffing, skills mix and acuity change.
6. Acts as an advocate for patients and families. Identifies ideas that will improve the quality of patient care and issues that will negatively impact on patient care outcomes, using the professional practice framework. Participates through team working and collaborative partnerships in identifying and implementing solutions through evidence based practice or research to demonstrate improvements reflected in unit, divisional, organizational data and bench marks.
7. Creates an environment that facilitates staff participation in the improvement of quality patient care in a transcultural environment. Records and evaluates activity against unit specific outcomes.
8. Contributes to the development and delivery of Nursing Affairs objectives using a continuous improvement paradigm. Works creatively to achieve objectives by embracing new ways of working and taking the lead in the Change Management process when appropriate.
9. Leads collaborative multidisciplinary partnerships working towards the achievement of unit and department goals.
10. Develops evidence based nursing practice in collaboration with Assistant Head Nurse/Charge Nurse/Unit Council and Clinical Instructors/ Clinical Nurse Coordinators. Promotes and maintains a culture within the clinical environment, which challenges and questions practice and promotes critical thinking amongst staff.
11. Leads and demonstrates achievement of clinical quality outcome indicators and patient satisfaction as per unit goals.
12. Promotes an awareness of resource utilization and the associated financial implication. Leads and demonstrates achievement of cost efficiency on unit as per targets. Prepares annual budget and provides variance reports as required. Forecasts requirements for personnel, supplies and equipment.
13. Promotes the effective orientation, precepting and support of new staff and students. Provides a welcoming work environment for new staff/nursing students and ensures appropriate preceptors are made available to assist with orientation. Monitors and tracks individual.
14. Ensures ongoing individual performance appraisals are objectively completed for staff members against 'set criteria. Assists with action plans arising from these appraisals as necessary. Provides clear feedback to team members in a manner that is conducive to maintaining and improving performance. Counsels and/or disciplines staff when appropriate.
15. Supports the recruitment of staff on unit and encourages and promotes the retention of all staff.
The hospital has a number of recreational facilities open to you, including swimming pools, tennis courts, a bowling alley and amenities centre. In addition, the Employee Social Club & Recreation Services offer a number of recreational courses, exercise programs and trips and a variety of other benefits to the employees. There are numerous Western companies in Jeddah with thousands of expats.
Requirements Current 2 years clinical experience in Pediatric Critical Care Nursing