Detail of advert DIR-R A-LWO-4398
Rehabilitation Technical Coordinator - Iraq
Location: Erbil with movement as required throughout KRG, Ninewa and Baghdad
Starting date: 14/10/2018
Duration of the mission : 6 months
Closing date for applications : 31/08/2018
Posting reference : DIR-R A-LWO-4398
PRESENTATION OF THE ORGANISATION
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organization present in more than 55 countries, working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For further information about the association: http://www.handicap-international.org
INFORMATION ON THE MISSION CONTEXT
As of March 2018, 2.2 million people remain displaced, while over 3.6 million displaced Iraqis have returned to their homes. Returns are ongoing including to areas liberated from ISIS in Ninewa, Kirkuk, Diyala, and Salah al-Din Governorates.
With the end of intense military operations and the territorial defeat of ISIL, the humanitarian response in Iraq is shifting from emergency to early recovery.
The widespread presence of explosive hazards in areas previously under ISIL control poses real threats and challenges for the returnee and vulnerable population. Returns to contaminated areas have resulted in severe injuries and deaths and many families have ended up in secondary displacement as they cannot return to their homes
Iraq s healthcare system has been severely affected by the recent conflict, with many damaged facilities, stolen equipment, and staff members in displacement. Population and in camp setting and in return areas face limited access to health services.
Handicap International (HI) started its activities in Iraq in 1991. HI s strategy in Iraq for 2018 includes 3 main components:
- Long-term development projects: support to civil society, access to services, awareness campaigns, community-based rehabilitation
- Emergency and recovery response for Internally Displaced Persons and vulnerable host communities (provision of physical rehabilitation and psychosocial support services, support to local structures, inclusion, protection assessments,).
- Mine Action: risk education, victim assistance, survey and clearance of contaminated areas.
The current operations are implemented through direct intervention and local partners. HI currently has a country coordination office in Erbil, field offices in Mosul, Kirkuk, Khanaqin and Baghdad (soon to open) with a support office in Suleymaniyah.
Under the line management of the Technical Unit Coordinator, with the support of HQ referent, the rehabilitation technical coordinator will lead in ensuring and guaranteeing the technical and quality framework related to rehabilitation and will be in charge, with other technical coordinator to improve the quality of the comprehensive approach.
S/he will be responsible for:
- Contributing to overall strategic planning for HI s mission and lead the definition of the Rehabilitation strategy in close link with other sector of intervention (MHPSS/Inclusion/protection/risk education/ ).
- Providing regular technical guidance and support to HI s Project Managers/field co and operational co on their field of expertise.
- Supporting the rehabilitation TAs at base level to ensure an adapted and harmonized response among the bases.
- Leading the development and update of technical guidelines and program quality framework for the Rehabilitation sector.
- Leading the development of all the tools needed (training package, needs assessment, IEC )
- Contributing to HI s external representation with other relevant actors and donors
- Providing input to all rehabilitation related mission reporting needs.
Degree in physiotherapy or occupational therapy
2 years experiences delivering rehabilitation services in an international NGO in either humanitarian response or development contexts
1 year Experience in Humanitarian coordination and confidence representing an organization and advocating for disability/rehabilitation.
Knowledge on international frameworks and policies regarding Disability/Rehabilitation issues
Experience in definition of program strategy for rehabilitation sector
Experience in developing and delivering training packages
Experience supervising, accompanying, coaching and managing a team
English mandatory (oral and written)
Strong written and oral communication skills
Excellent reactivity and flexibility in all circumstances
Strong capacity to organize his/her work, and manage priorities
Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills